I finished Fool Moon by Jim Butcher, and started The Last White Man by Mohsin Hamid. It’s a thin book, and I am almost at the end.

The book is interesting, though I didn’t like the writing style much, but I guess it suits the story, the way it’s told.

What about you? What have you been reading?

Edit: So, I made this post 2 days ago, but turned out there was some issue between lemmy.world and discuss.online so my posts and comments weren’t showing up here. It seems the issue is resolved now. So, that’s why the date is 2 days old, and thread is posted late.

• @SaintWacko@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    811 months ago

I’m currently rereading Terry Pratchett’s Witches subseries of the Discworld books. I’ve also been working my way through everything by Charles Stross, which I am absolutely loving

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      311 months ago

Nice! I have been thinking about starting the Discworld series, once I am done with Dresden Files. I have read a few of the novels, but not near enough the full series. I have few of the starting one, so going to start in the written / published order.

Have you read any other subseries of Discworld, which one is your currently your favourite?

• Xavier Ashe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

My favorite Discworld book is his last, The Shepherd’s Crown. After doing the whole library, I felt it ending well. Then you read the afterword by Rob Wilkins… you get all the feels.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          211 months ago

Haven’t read that, will look forward to it, but its going to be a while before I reach that point.

• @SaintWacko@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’ve read all of them multiple times. I’ve never been able to pick out a favorite. All of them have amazing bits. I do think that either Guards or Rincewind would be good subseries to start with

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Yeah, I think Guards Guards is a pretty good choice to recommend, if someone has never read Discworld. As for Rincewind, the first couple of books are generally considered the weakest by most people. So not sure about that.

I like reading in published order, so I am just going to go with that.

• @Jackthelad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    611 months ago

Just started Jade City by Fonda Lee. Heard nothing but good things about this series and it has started off pretty well. Good characterisations.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      211 months ago

Looked it up, looks pretty interesting. Would love to hear how you find the whole series, once you are done with it.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          211 months ago

Haha, take your time. No need to rush through.

• Angry Hippy
    link
    fedilink
    411 months ago

Currently reading The Mushroom at the End of the World by Anna Lowenhaupt Tsing. Excellent both as ethnography and as multivalent critique of capitalism.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      111 months ago

It looks like just a book about mushrooms! Do share what you thought about the book.

• Xavier Ashe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

Re-reading the original Ringworld series by Larry Niven so that I can read the newer Fleet of World series. Currently on Ringworld Throne.

Did you know there is a fediverse reading tracker called Bookwyrm? You can find me here! https://books.infosec.exchange/user/xavier

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The name Ringworld seems familiar, but I don’t think I have ever read it. How are you liking the series?

Boowyrm is pretty nice, I took a look around a while back, but haven’t moved to it as my main tracker. Currently using LibraryThing for my cataloging needs. It’s a centralized site, but it’s a pretty good one.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      211 months ago

Nice! I gave away my copies of LoTR to someone. I should get a nice omnibus version now too.

As for Oppenheimer, a quick search shows there are multiple books, which one are you going to read.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Ah, nice. Do share how you like the book. The movie has kind of made me interested in reading about Oppenheimer, even though I haven’t seen it yet. But I am not interested enough to read multiple books, so would pick a one that most people think is good and then go with that one.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

These books are pretty high on my wishlist, how are you liking the series?

• @degrix@lemmy.hqueue.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

I’ve been enjoying them! They’re a fun read so far. I haven’t gotten too far into the third book yet, but the first two were excellent reads.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          110 months ago

Nice. Thanks for your input!

• @binxscomet@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

Just started The End of Loneliness after giving up on my third attempt at Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring. Time to admit my love for fantasy novels in my early teens didn’t follow me into adulthood.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Well there is nothing wrong with your taste changing, as you grow, but as far as fantasy is concerned, the genre has evolved a lot since LotR days. There are so many sub-genres in fantasy, you should be able to find something you like. Mention the kind of books you want, and I am sure someone will give you the recommendations.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      111 months ago

Good luck with your textbook!

Thanks for the recommendation, the series looks interesting.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Looks like an interesting series. How are you liking it?

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Just looked it, looks interesting. Have you read the short stories in the series?

• @RozhkiNozhki@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

I learned about the short stories after I started reading the book. I ended up getting an edition of an ebook that had short stories included but they are tucked away at the end of the book. Eventually I’ll get to them:)

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          110 months ago

Ah okay. Do share how you like the whole series.

• @RozhkiNozhki@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            25 months ago

It took me a long time to regain my reading abilities lost over the last few years but I finally finished the book and the short stories, and enjoyed all of them very much.

At first the book reads like a disjointed collection of (not so short) stories as the main character abruptly ends one chapter of his life and moves onto another but it all comes around at the end.

Once I got used to this format I was so engaged I actually missed the end of the book and leapt into short stories, all while trying to figure out how these new unexplained characters fit into the main storyline… took me a bit to look at the table of contents haha.

Overall the world created by the author is very rich in detail and spans years and generations. I found the language a little too complex and overwhelming at times but I’m not a native speaker. Still, the book flows smoothly and the dialogues are very enjoyable, and I definitely recommend looking into it.

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              15 months ago

Ah, I had forgotten about it.

This sounds pretty interesting, going to add it to my wishlist.

Thanks for the review! (and remembering to post it. 😀 )

Now that you are back into reading, would love to see what you are reading next in our weekly threads.

• @uzziah0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

Eon by Greg Bear. It’s interesting because it was written in the 80s, and the beginning takes across the early 2000s.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

One thing I am glad about, is the prediction of second nuclear war haven’t come true yet. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Book looks interesting though, going to check it out.

• @scaredofplanes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

I finished Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane, which was an enjoyable read. He’s a great writer and a great plotter. This book is very much in the vein of what he does, but he changed the perspective around and it works. It isn’t his best book, but it’s refreshing.

I started The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. I’ve never read anything by him before but I’ve always heard about this book. Finally picked it up, and it’s very early going, but I love what I’ve read so far. I’m going to end up having more to say about this book.

I’m listening to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I read it in hardcover sometime not that long after it came out, but it’s fun revisiting it. I remember the writing differently than it sounds.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I have heard a lot about Dennis Lehane, would have to read him soon. The Historian also looks pretty interesting, adding it to my list.

Would love to heart moe about The Unbearable Lightness of Being once you have finished it.

• @giriinthejungle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I am reading The Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevski and The Road by McCarthy. I had the The Road in the queue since he passed away but the book breaks my heart. Recently finished Jane Eyre. Really disliked that one.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I haven’t read many of the classics, but I read Jane Eyre, and I remember liking it. There was one part of the novel that I didn’t like, but other than that I think I enjoyed the read.

The Road has been highly recommended, but it looks like a very depressing book, so haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. Maybe, one day.

How are you liking The Notes from the Underground?

• @ThisIsRidiculousAnd@rblind.com
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin. Finding it a little slow right now but I heard it’s an emotional read so i’m willing to stick with it.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I have never read a proper book from South Korean writer (not counting web novels and manhwa). Would like to hear your opinions once you are finished.

• @willowisp_42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

I like to read a few of my favorite books every few month. I just finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchet and started the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Hitchiker’s Guide to Galaxy is probably one of my favourites too. Very few books that have made me laugh out loud.

Haven’t read Good Omens yet, but it’s on my list.

And wow, you must be a fast reader, sometimes it takes me a few months to just finish one book. 😞