Calendax is a way to merge your Future Log and Monthly spread together, and make something new. Like everything bullet journal, there are some variations of Calendax too. But this is a good place to start.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    English
    211 months ago

So, I just started a bullet journal. Is this worth looking into, or should I grasp the basics first?

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      211 months ago

Well, there is nothing wrong with checking it out. But if you ask me, I think, you should stick with the basics / original system. Like anything new, its easy to get bogged down by all the options and spend more time optimizing the system then the amount of time saved by using it. So, start with the actual system, and if after a while you want to explore more options, you would know what works or doesn’t work for you.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        English
        211 months ago

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking. I’m curious of the reason why you’re looking for more.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Well, no system, no matter how nice, is perfect. And everyone is different with different needs. Not looking for more, just something that matches my needs more closely.

I originally started with just using dailies. No index, no future log, no monthly page. I slowly added them over the time. But the way my life and work is, I don’t really have any need for future log, I pretty much only add birthdays, anniversaries and bill due dates on my monthly page. So I stopped using future log.

I came across Calendex a while back, it’s like a monthly page, but covers the whole year (or half year, if smaller notebook). So it can help me remove my monthly pages and just make one page for multiple months. Since my usage is much less than official Calendex needs, I am going to modify it a bit for me. I haven’t used it before because the notebook I am using has pre-made monthly pages, and I wanted to keep using those. Now that the notebook is almost finished, switching to an empty / blank one. So, thinking about giving Calendax a try.

Now, if Calendex is so nice, why shouldn’t everyone use it? Well, like everything, it has it’s drawbacks. It adds complications, and if you aren’t used to journaling, can start to feel like a chore. So, better to get used to using your journal regularly, and then modify it if it doesn’t meet your needs completely.

• jgrim of SublinksA
            link
            English
            211 months ago

Just looking at Calendex makes me say nope haha. I’m keeping it simple to start. I have trouble starting new habits. I either overcomplicate them then lose interest from exhaustion or I forget to do it once and break the habit and never restart it. I like how simple and messy the base theory is. It allows for scribbles and forgotten days. I’m hoping it helps keep me motivated.

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              211 months ago

Yeah, there was a video by someone, who has apparently made some documentaries, that gave bullet journal a try for 30 days. He over-complicated it by not following the basics but going for stylish spreads he watched on YouTube, and this exhausted him, instead of making things easier. For instance, it took him 4 hours to set up first month, and then 2 hours to set up seconds one. He eventually realised this is too much, and gave up.

And yeah, I love how simple it is. It doesn’t matter if you miss a day, a week, or a month, just turn to next empty page, and start writing.