I remember when I was on Reddit I would check it several times a day. But with Lemmy there doesn’t seem to be that much content popping up to justify that. I’m finding myself less addicted to the platform genre.

How often do you check Lemmy? What do you subscribe to that keeps you coming back?

• @moshtradamus666@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    63 months ago

I felt the same when I made the change, but now I think content flows enough to for me spend almost as much as I did reddit. I wouldn’t say I was addicted to reddit though.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      43 months ago

I for sure had an addiction. I mostly lurked, too. I’m way more involved in the communities on Lemmy. Which is great. It feels less like shouting into the void.

• @shortwavesurfer@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

Oh, several times a day for sure. It replaced my left swipe gesture from my home screen, and so anytime I swipe left from home, it automatically opens thunder. I also get notifications after 15 minutes if somebody replies to a post or something.

TL;DR: too much lol

• BirdEnjoyer
      link
      fedilink
      23 months ago

You can do this? I hate the left swipe crap stuck on my phone so much I pretended it doesn’t exist; I didn’t know you could customize it.

link
            fedilink
            English
            43 months ago

And see, I have been reading and responding to different things since I opened your comment before. I prob use lemmy to much. My favorite sort is by new subscriptions so that I can see what I’ve missed in chronological order and then once I am done with new I generally go to top in past 12 hours to see what everybody is talking about in the all feed.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
              link
              13 months ago

This is the way. I guess I’m just not Lemmy-ing well enough. I’m looking through the list of communities now and trying to find more that I didn’t find when I first did my mass subscription.

link
                fedilink
                English
                33 months ago

I used browse.feddit.de to get my first communities and have just added to them a little at a time as new ones of interest cross the “all” feed or like recently i installed NixOS and wanted to see if there was a community for it and there was. So i started out with maybe 10-15 core subs and have branched into quite a few more. I also run !t_mobile@lemmy.ml because i liked the news and discussion on /r/tmobile. The lemmy community doesnt get much discussion, but it gets some and i add what interests me. Others are free to contribute as well.

• Nakoichi [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

Activity depends a lot on the instance. I’m a mod for Hexbear so I check in a lot just to monitor reports, but I find it very active. Of course not as active as reddit, but quality over quantity, and the volume of posts may be smaller but the discussions around them (again depends a lot on the instance) much more healthy and informative.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      23 months ago

I mostly find myself checking just to moderate communities. Maybe once a week I’ll really scroll deep and look for interesting things.

• Deceptichum
    link
    fedilink
    43 months ago

Very frequently.

I find the more you contribute, the more you get sruff to check back on.

• @Dave@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    43 months ago

For one, the lack of addiction causing algorithms is one great reason to use a platform like Lemmy. I certainly use Lemmy less than I used reddit, but now almost never go on reddit, so it’s been a net positive.

But with that said, I still check Lemmy multiple times a day. I try to comment on things, as this drives the conversations that make it enjoyable. I’ll laugh at memes like anyone but the conversations are more important for me.

So I have a browse through content using different views (Subscribed, Local, and All), then sort based on Active, Hot, and Scaled to see different things. If I’m checking for the first time in the morning I’ll check Top 12 hours, if I’m desperate for content I’ll browse Top 1 hour or even New. There are new posts every minute so there is definitely content coming through.

I then comment on interesting posts with whatever comes to mind, then wait for the notifications of replies to get the conversations going.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      43 months ago

It seems like everyone enjoys Lemmy for the quality of content rather than the amount. People also seem to engage a lot more on Lemmy. There are just a lot less of us so maybe that’s why it seems less full of content.

I don’t filter All very often, perhaps that’s my problem. I’m stuck on my own island of content.

• @Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

I spend most of my time in All. You get a lot of varied content. If you filter by Active, you see where conversations are happening.

There are definitely less people and therefore less niche content. About 50k active Lemmy users across all of Lemmy, vs 200M on reddit. But you get to know specific users here, if you find the right conversations.

• @ericjmorey
    link
    English
    33 months ago

Which account?

Overall, several times a day.

Some accounts won’t be viewed daily.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    33 months ago

Frequently across the fed. I do go in bursts depending on other things going on, but its not unusual for me to check on mobile and PC browser.

I also sort by new/everything so I get the firehose (including hexbear :( )

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      23 months ago

I always sort by new just to moderate what’s new. I switch to scaled or active when I want to see something new. Usually, it’s the same thing each day though. Perhaps I need to subscribe to a bunch more communities. I was trying to keep it lean.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

i just cant figure yall out, people say things that make no sense, and half of it is in code. Im just too old to give a shit I think.

• Nakoichi [he/him]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

It’s been a relatively isolated community for a long time which has resulted in lots of obscure bits and injokes proliferating, but as long as you engage in good faith and show openness to learn from sources that might contradict your presuppositions based on the sea of propaganda we are all born into you’ll get along just fine.

Also half the time I don’t know wtf some of these folks are talking about and I am also definitely on the older end of the lemmy demographic.

• BirdEnjoyer
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

I’m kinda sad that I’ve fallen out of touch with competitive pokemon, because that’s the one time where my hobby totally felt like code.

AV Ttar w/ stone edge @ 30% to OHKO

• @infinitevalence
            link
            English
            23 months ago

I could probably ask my kids what that means, but I have no idea.

• @MacedWindow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

Here and there throughout the day. I tend to weave it in between reading manga and researching whatever current bullshit Im interested in.

• Pietson
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I’m a pretty active lurker, I just tend to browse all and block whatever isn’t relevant to me at all rather than subscribe to communities that are, which provides me work plenty of new content.

If it’s going a bit slow I’ll usually still go to Reddit but only logged out. Haven’t logged in since the API changes

• loser [none/use name]
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

I check in every week or 2, mostly just to see if theres any updates with the apps I use to browse lemmy with. Most of the boards I browsed are dead so theres not much to do on here.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      33 months ago

Which communities do you follow? Perhaps there are more alive ones on different instances?