Hey everyone! Ill be starting to share updates on the frontend visuals here like I was doing with Pangora before it got merged into Sublinks

• Edit: note for people who are wandering in here not knowing what Sublinks is. Sublinks is an upcoming fediverse link aggregator separate from lemmy. It will have api compatibility on release so frontends and apps should still work but the project will be focusing a lot on mod tools and federation updates once it reaches parity. This UI is the default frontend I’m designing for it

Starting off with some progress I’ve been making on the Home Page. Been taking things I enjoy from both alternate frontends such as Photon and Tesseract, as well as Misskey forks like Iceshrimp and Sharkey.

People who followed me as I was developing Pangora might recognize a lot of similar design decisions

Still in progress but ill try to share new progress at least every couple of days when I work on it with new additions

The left sidebar can be collapsed to show only icons for people who want a bit more space for post cards

Hovering over an option adds a popover saying what it is

In addition when you scroll down the navbar shrinks a bit to give you more space for post cards. On mobile the navbar hides completely when you scroll down and then shows again when you scroll up

The frontend is still heavily in progress so things may change a lot still before release as I refine it. If you’ve got suggestions feel free to give me them

• @simple@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    82 months ago

Looks great. Love the clean design and it has good contrast without being annoying with the colors. Definitely keeping an eye on sublinks.

• Xylight (Photon Dev)
    link
    fedilink
    English
    62 months ago

I really like the design so far! I see you’ve taken inspiration from photon for the site info card ;)

The side nav is one of the best navs i’ve seen in my life, good job!

• AtegonOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      52 months ago

Thanks! Yeah lot of design is an amalgation of things I liked from many different frontends

Photon, voyager, alexandrite, tesseract, iceshrimp, sharkey

Really liked how you structured site info so did something similar but added in some similar formatting from pangora so it has things like the banner at the top

• @can@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I think you should put a brief intro to the idea at the very top. I read your whole post and thought it was another Lemmy front end until I read the community description, and most people aren’t going to do that.

Otherwise looks good. It’s always nice to have more platforms in the fediverse and API compatibility is great.

Does this work: !test_community@demo.sublinks.org

• AtegonOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      32 months ago

True ill edit that in in a sec

Demo instance doesnt federate atm

• AtegonOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          42 months ago

Backend is sublinks, frontend is lemmy

• eatham 🇭🇲
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12 months ago

It is also a lemmy frontend I believe, it is compatible. Maybe instances that host frontends like lemmy.world should host it as it looks amazing. Maybe once it is complete other instances could host it instead of the default.

• AtegonOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        22 months ago

Theoretically could be used with lemmy at least on initial release (im using it with my lemmy instance right now for testing). Might be some issues when the feature set gets expanded out

• eatham 🇭🇲
          link
          fedilink
          English
          12 months ago

Do you reckon the UI is close to feature parity? The UI looks really good, are you thinking of hosting a demo of it anytime soon?

• AtegonOPM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            32 months ago

Features wise could get parity relatively quickly (maybe a couple weeks of only doing features). Adding in design though so it looks good might take a month or a couple months

Think the plan was for us to host something once auth and the main features are in like the home feed which should maybe be both done this week or next week

• eatham 🇭🇲
              link
              fedilink
              English
              12 months ago

Only a couple months till it’s caught up to lemmy-ui? That’s super fast, I thought sublinks was like 2 months old? It will probably take longer to convince instance admins to host it.

Can you make a post in this community when the demo is live?

• AtegonOPM
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                2 months ago

The basic features of lemmy UI aren’t that bad to add in and I had already done so with Pangora. Compared to gamedev this is extremely easy

Thats assuming nonstop work for two months though so probably would take longer since I do things like game jams

Yeah sure ill be making a post here