• YearOfTheCommieDesktop [they/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

honestly even pretty comfortable people would get wiped out by a 5-10k expense in many cases, if it weren’t for the ability to go into debt or borrow against their home equity. If you don’t have great credit or were already using quite a bit of credit just to get by, and you don’t own any big assets like a house, you’re pretty screwed.

And then the same people who will say how irresponsible these people are for not saving money they don’t even have, will call you a fool if you don’t invest your savings (risking taking big losses if you have to pull it out in a hurry). If you press them on it maybe they’ll say you should have a buffer of 6 months of expenses saved before you start investing savings but for most people that’s gonna take ages to accrue if they can even save at all, and could be wiped out by an unexpected expense in the blink of an eye. you can’t just take $10-20/hr money and turn it into the savings of someone making $70-80k/yr. There isn’t enough there to start accruing much gains in stonks let alone interest, and they need the liquidity in case of emergency (not if but when)

• supafuzz [comrade/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      384 months ago

the system is well maintained, it’s just that its purpose is as an engine of wealth transfer from the poor to the rich

people with savings are harder to debt-trap and steal from

• the_post_of_tom_joad [any, any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    343 months ago

Even this statistic has it’s numbers massaged by choosing such a low dollar amount. I mean sure whatever, 1000 bucks ain’t nothing but that isn’t what I’m saying.

I bet if you put it to say, 10k instead (which isn’t even a large hospital expenditure in the US), that percentage would be ~99%.

These damn articles can’t even speak truth without stuffing the reader with gaslighting ass lines like this gem.

It’s quite remarkable in the current environment that even with low unemployment and a job market that has been both robust and resilient in recent years, that we still have this remarkably low percentage of Americans who could pay this emergency expense,” he adds.

Hey, fuck you Hamrick!

• came_apart_at_Kmart [he/him, comrade/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    254 months ago

from another article:

You’d expect savings account balances to grow by generation — but that’s not always the case. According to our survey, only 43% of savers aged 18-24 report having $500 or less in savings, while a whopping 51% of savers aged 55-64 report the same.

And for those reporting a very low saving account balance, the 35-44 age group have the highest percentage, with 41% reporting a balance of $100 or less.

a lot of these articles seem to fall into this genre of “the way to save more money is to save more money!” and as helpful as HYSA are to that end, there is limited discussion of how to be able to contribute some/more into savings and never any discussion of wages, which would be an obvious factor when food, shelter and healthcare costs are taking bigger bites.

• DefinitelyNotAPhone [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      33 months ago

Also, most HYSA require a significant upfront investment ($1k+ all invested at once) in order to open an account in the first place. And as nice as 5% interest is, getting $10/year from it is pretty fucking irrelevant; it’s only useful if you have a cool $10k+ to dump into it and forget.

• 5% of $1k is $50/year. and, generally speaking $1k in emergency savings is only the first tier savings goal. the next priority is to save 3-6 months of expenses depending on perceived job stability, which is where interest income starts to offset the cost of some cheaper utilities or a mid tier subscription add-on.

it’s not really meant to provide some passive income so much as as it is an incentive to parking the savings somewhere. because the current interest rates on brick and mortar savings are butt cheeks. like 0.1% type crap.

• Acute_Engles [he/him, any]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      203 months ago

The last ~$10 an hour of wage increases have basically washed off my back. Meaning i feel like I’m in the same position or worse compared to when i made less. Food and housing especially have felt unmanageable for years where I live.

I can see middle age on the horizon and I’m still very paycheque to paycheque

• Acute_Engles [he/him, any]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          53 months ago

The average 1BR apartment here an hour’s drive from the near city is up to 1500 minimum per month. Honestly probably more I’ve got had to look for a new place in a while. Cost of food and gas is brutal here too. I’ve had a small family this entire time but we haven’t improved our quality of life much if at all.

• Tunnelvision [they/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Yes you’re an outlier you have no idea how the average American lives. I’ve never known anyone to just have $1000 on hand to settle an emergency.

• Tunnelvision [they/them]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          143 months ago

Like I said average to me would be everyone I know being paycheck to paycheck and not having $1000 to scrape together if something bad happened in their life. To be honest I couldn’t care less what some @lemmy account has to say about the situation. You’re either in this situation yourself or you’re an outlier as I said before.

• Bloobish [comrade/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 months ago

Single income earners that are reasonably young (under theirs 40s) without kids or dependents usually have, to them at least, quite a sizable amount of spendable income compared to those with a variety of bills/dependents (kids, homes/rent, healthcare for said kids and themselves, god forbid they also have pets or student debt as well or existing medical debt).