I’ve been using Adobe Acrobat (cracked) for around 2 years, and i have recently started switching all of my proprietary apps with privacy respecting and/or FOSS apps, however i could not find a PDF viewer/editor desktop app that could scan and create documents from my printer/scanner, which i use quite often, thus i came here looking for a recommendation.

Apart from scanning, i don’t have much uses with a PDF editor. I haven’t had to sign documents, share or work with it along someone, add watermarks or add read-only modes, though i wouldn’t say i need them, for i may some time in the future.

I just need a PDF viewer/editor which i can rely on. It should at least be able to scan documents as well as edit those scanned pages (cropping, color shading, rescanning etc.) and have a nice UI overall as i am not a power user who works with compact view modes or terminals.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

• BuckShot
    link
    fedilink
    1210 months ago

Okular is amazing, this paired with Libre Office for PDF creation is how I do PDF production and editing. Okular has somewhat limited editing, so when converting scans/photos into a PDF I use KolourPaint for more detailed editing. It allows me to remove, add, or edit anything in a scan/photo before it’s converted into a PDF by Libre Office.

• @ominouslemon@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    1010 months ago

Believe it or not, to scan and edit stuff I use none other than GIMP

For viewing I use Okular.

I use both on Linux and Windows

• Max-P
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

Seconding Okular, and SkanPage does well to scan things into PDF.

• @Samsy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

As someone who scans with Linux in production we use a combination of xsane, PDFarranger and paperwork.