• Finished The Better Part of Valour by Tanya Huff. Book 2 of Confederation series. It took a long time to finish this, but I am still interested in the story.
  • Read Jujitu Kaisen: Vol. 6 by George Akutmi.
  • Read Skyward by Brandon Sanderson, first book of the Skyward (Cytoverse) series. Loved the book.
  • Currently reading Starsight by Brandon Sanderson, second book of Skyward (Cytoverse) series.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• Rei
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Listening to Paradise Lost by John Milton and No Gods for Drowning by Hailey Piper. Though, I’ll probably be working on Paradise Lost for a while because I have to be in the right mind set for it; it’s hard to multitask listening to that one 😅

• @Frozengyro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

I read it about a decade ago. From what I remember it reads as very academic, and not like modern English. Definitely something to be in the right mindset for.

• @Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      32 months ago

Have you got round to the Bob Hoon books yet? If you can do audiobooks I’d highly recommend those; the narrator is brilliant at Hoon and the books are absolutely fucking hysterical

• @robolemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        32 months ago

I’ve been doing them in Kirk’s reading order, so I read the Hoon books interleaved with the Logan ones.

I can’t abide audio books, so I’ll miss out on the narration.

• @Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          22 months ago

My favourite paraphrased lines -

Female villain - “I’d ask you to join our organisation, Mr Hoon, but I know exactly what you’d say”

Hoon - “I’d say shove it up yer fish-hole, you badly-aimed batch of ejaculate”

Female villain - “Ok I admit I didn’t know exactly what you’d say…”

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      22 months ago

Wow, a book a day. And I just looked them up, they aren’t small either.

What kind of books are these? Leaning towards mystery? or action? or something else?

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          12 months ago

Sounds interesting, will check them out.

• @hakase@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    42 months ago

Finishing up Dune again. After that, I’ll probably try Iain M. Banks’ Culture series on the recommendation of a good friend.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      12 months ago

I have to reread Dune too. I originally only read the first novel, but now want to try out the sequels too.

• @Frozengyro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

The sequels aren’t quite as good as the original, though God emperor is worth the read if you have gotten that far.

• @hakase@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        22 months ago

Emperor is my second favorite after the original, and it’s where I usually stop on rereads.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    42 months ago

I’m working my way through Kill the Farm Boy by Kevin Herne and Delilah S Dawson.

It’s trying to be a witty romp in the style of The Princess Bride by William S Goldman or something by Pratchett, but it’s just trying too hard to get to the next joke. I like terrible puns and groaners, but the jokes should be in service of the plot, and this book unfortunately just feels like the plot is an afterthought to get to the next big joke.

• amio
    link
    fedilink
    42 months ago

Currently (re)reading The Dresden Files, as it happens.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      42 months ago

Oooh, nice. How far along are you?

• amio
        link
        fedilink
        32 months ago

Started Proven Guilty, things are picking up at SpoopyCon.

• @Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    32 months ago

I’m not usually on for modern classics but The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne has me captivated at the mo

About a gay man growing up from the 40s in staunchly catholic Ireland. It’s basically just a load of conversations but Boyne is an absolute master storyteller

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      22 months ago

How are you liking it? Have heard good things about it, so have been thinking about getting it soon.

• @TicaVerde@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        22 months ago

It was good and held my attention. Pace and dialogue felt right and the mystery didn’t feel too cliche. I was dumb and read the plot for the next two books so I’m not as eager to continue, but I am looking forward to how the next season of the TV series goes.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          12 months ago

I have heard the TV season diverges somewhat from the book. Though I haven’t watched the show or read the book yet, so no idea about it.

• slazer2au
    link
    fedilink
    English
    22 months ago

Haven’t had much time last week so still working through the Debit of Honour by Tom Clancy audiobook

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      22 months ago

Slow and steady wins the race! 😀

• @LoganNineFingers@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    22 months ago

Dresden!

Just finished the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Great book with a great take on time travel - highly recommend if you haven’t read it.

The Cytoverse books are great - I haven’t read the last one yet (even though I preordered it haha)

Just finishing “The Churn” before I start Expanse #5

I just preordered Stormlight 5 so a Stormlight Archives reread might be happening soon.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      12 months ago

Logan!

I have seen First Fifteen Lives of Harry August mentioned before, I think. Added to my wishlist!

I actually got first two Cytoverse books in 2021, was waiting for the series to complete before starting it. Started it as soon as I ordered Defiant last week.

Still enjoying Expanse? I may start it after finishing Cytoverse and Confederation series.

I don’t think I’ll be getting around to Stormlight 5 anytime soon. Need to re-read all the books, and it feels a bit overwhelming, specially with the amount of free time I have these days. Maybe later this year.

• @LoganNineFingers@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        21 month ago

I have been loving the expanse!

Book 4 was so well done and book 5 was so fun getting a look under the hood with the other crew on the Rocinante.

The Expanse gets recommended in the same breath as Red Rising all the time but I just don’t see it. Red Rising is more hot and cold, like an action movie. The Expanse is like watching the Sopranos or… Se7en

15 Lives is a good read and a standalone novel. I like it when something is good and isn’t a 3+ book commitment.

• @brenticus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    22 months ago

Current focus is Whalefall since it’s due back to the library at some point. Read a little when I first picked it up, trying to read the rest this week.

Also working through The Invincible Shovel manga. Read three volumes, I’ll probably read the rest this week. It’s stupid. I love it.

• @kat_angstrom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    22 months ago

“To Say Nothing of the Dog” by Connie Willis. Fantastic time travel misadventure, good British comedy, I’m definitely enjoying it so far.