The right of everyone to equal protection under the law

The right to vote

The freedom of speech

The right to privacy

The freedom of religion

The right of the people to assemble peacefully

The freedom of the press

The right to keep and bear arms

Meaninglessly abstract ‘values’ are easy to agree on when the question is just ‘is it important?’. Ask what any of those things mean in specific policy terms and see how much people agree.

• Neato
    link
    fedilink
    English
    93 months ago

So the bill of rights, essentially. I guess the subtext for Trump voters is “For white christian conservatives”. Because those fascists can doublethink like it’s an olympic sport. Or lie; they’re good at that too.

• @Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

As another poster said, no we don’t. These are practically generic because the questions do not refer to any applied in practice. The house has divided, and we’re all watching the fall as people treat politics like team sports.

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    13 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The overall findings are striking because they come at a time of extreme partisanship when political agreements seem rare and concerns are heightened over the potential for violence during a volatile presidential election year.

“If you get a bunch of normal people at random and put them in a room together and chat about issues, there’s a lot more convergence than you might imagine,” said Michael Albertus, a political science professor at the University of Chicago.

About three-quarters of U.S. adults agree that a democratically elected government is extremely or very important, and about 8 in 10 think the same about the ability of people living in the U.S. to get good jobs and achieve the American dream.

Juan Sierra, 51, a naturalized citizen whose family immigrated from the Dominican Republic after a hurricane destroyed his father’s cement business, said it is very important to him that the U.S. be seen as a place of opportunity.

Susan Johnson, a 76-year-old Republican living in the Dallas suburbs, said the nation’s standing as a beacon to others who need refuge is very important, but said that could not override concerns about border security.

Many younger people don’t remember a time when those with opposing views and from different political backgrounds could get together and “come over to your house.” Their frame of reference is the hyper partisanship of the Trump years, he said.

The original article contains 1,170 words, the summary contains 231 words. Saved 80%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!