• @BroBot9000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    510 months ago

Just finished watching and GN is totally valid on calling out a lot of bullshit that LTT is doing.

Either you are light entertainment that’s not to be taken seriously or you are a serious reviewer and are held to higher standards of testing.

LTT are becoming corporate shills and are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

• @infinitevalenceM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

I think stepping back and taking a breath and not engaging in the online rage machine is warranted (not directed specifically at you, just all of us who rage, myself included).

GN, and Hardware Unboxed have very valid concerns, and Linus I think missed the point of this video by taking a defensive and emotional stance. I dont totally fault him for that. External, and especially public criticism is hard to accept.

Steve is asking LTT to do better, take more time, fix things in production rather than with text notes, and pinned corrections.

What I did not take away is that LTT are shills, and im not sure that the suggestive way Steve implied impartiality is fair. If he has evidence that Gary or Terran are being influenced by their previous rolls thats one thing, but just implying that they could be leads to assumptions without evidence.

Its the same tactic used by bad faith news and interviewers and probably is not intentional on Steves part but his message would have been better without it. “Im not saying Linus takes money from Noctua for positive reviews, but they sure talk it up and have a close partnership” is very different from “here is the email from Noctua to Linus asking him to change his conclusion before publication”

• @rhombus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

It felt less like implying they were shills and more pointing out the numerous instances of apparent conflicts of interest. It would be one thing if all they did was hire people like Gary and Terran, but they also have several close business relationships with companies whose products they are still reviewing. Both of those combined harm LMGs credibility as impartial reviewers.

• @infinitevalenceM
        link
        English
        410 months ago

Agreed, Linus focused on Billet, and not the valid criticism of a peer.

• Hal-5700X
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Yeah. What they did to Billet Labs is evil. I hope LTT gets sued for it.

• @infinitevalenceM
          link
          English
          -210 months ago

I think that is extreme, and the only people who ever get rich from a lawsuit are the lawyers.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Looks like there is some new Youtube drama

Edit: I should of said controversy not drama. I’ll leave it for the replies.

• silent_water [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      910 months ago

it’s way too thorough to be youtube drama. it calls into question LMG’s ethics and business practices. what they did to the waterblock company of two people is obscene. they reviewed the only viable prototype the company had on incompatible hardware, trashed the product in the review, then sold the product act auction to a potential competitor. they effectively destroyed the company and in the WAN show said that they couldn’t retest the product properly because it would have cost $500 - not of Linus’s time, but of his employees. it’s such a callous way to behave that I literally cannot fathom it.

the sheer scope of the data errors from rushed video production are the icing on the cake.

• Hal-5700X
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Okay. But GN is not wrong about LTT in the video. If LTT were smart, they would take a long look at themselves and learn from this.

• @infinitevalenceM
        link
        English
        210 months ago

I think this is the real takeaway from this so far. LTT is being called out on errors that even they acknowledged (via pins, edits, wan shows, tweets, and forum posts) and the best thing for them to do is step back, remove emotion from the public criticism, and evaluate if the number and frequency of errors benefits them, their brand, and trust.