The service offers the ability to purchase credits through cryptocurrencies, as well as offers the data for AI training purposes.

• chameleon
      link
      fedilink
      182 months ago

I think they’ll give it a genuine shot. These stalking services pop up like weeds and every time it gets some media attention they end up with significant problems not much later. dis.cool was the last well-known entry but there’s been more.

• @rar
      link
      English
      92 months ago

Can’t wait for it to die and wither out. But I know they will retain a big pool of users on hostage like reddit or fb for a while.

• @SoupBrick@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    702 months ago

From the article, the data collection hinges on a bot going into a public server then scraping the history. Still a problem that Discord should act on, but it looks like there is no need to worry about private servers.

• @themachine@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      82 months ago

Does anyone know what kind of naming pattern or bot identification methods we could use? I belong to a small public server that’s there to serve a public need.

• @trashgirlfriend@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        42 months ago

You could probably have a verification system thing that I’ve seen some public servers have where you have to complete some action before getting access to the actual channels.

• @wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -72 months ago

“private” = small ‘servers’ that aren’t in the public index (I think you have to have like 500 people to be eligible or something), or…?

• @joshhsoj1902@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      282 months ago

If they could somehow make this data available to search engines. Maybe we can start being able to google random problems and actually find solutions again.

• @IcePee@lemmy.beru.co
      link
      fedilink
      English
      62 months ago

This is assuming the bots are allowed (or, at least not prevented in coming) in by the server admin and the bot is not obfuscated some how. If the bots are taking advantage of an expolit, or not being up front, then we have trouble.

• @eyeon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      62 months ago

the content being scraped is from users, they do not control what bots are added to servers.

It’s much more like the Cambridge Analytics scandal in that users posted content that was shared with friends but not explicitly shared publicly, but those friends then granted a third party access to all of the data.

• Aatube
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    2 months ago

it redirects to a video of the infamous Jonah Jameson’s “Are you serious?” scene from Spider-Man

No, it hosts the video. DMCA!!1!!1!!!

Edit: Italicized “hosts”. Wish we could use the <em> tag.

• @Shape4985@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    62 months ago

Deleted discord recently because of the ads. Glad I did as iv been looking for reason to delete it for a while.

• @Asudox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Time to switch to alternative open source ones: Revolt, Matrix, Spacebar…

Revolt looks and functions the most like Discord.

• body_by_make
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      202 months ago

You should learn about how message federation works on Lemmy