Bought couple of books for my young one, and just read through them.

• Read Race to the Rescue By Zanib Mian, book 2 of her “Meet the Maliks - Twin Detective”. It’s kinda like The Wimpy Kid, but about twin Muslim kids and their family.
  • Read The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi. Book 1 of Amulet series. A 9 book series of graphic novels for kids.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening lately?

And how many of you are taking part in our Books Bingo? Any progress yet?

• @fievel@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    17 days ago

Just finished The gathering, by C.J. Tudor. Really loved it, through a vampire fantasy novel, she achieved to approach very actual and important topics like euthanasia, genocide, fear of difference, tolerance and so on. One of her best novel in my opinion.

Restarted on my Tolkien cycle with The hobbit (of course a reread in English - read the French translation about 25 years ago).

• @atomic@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    614 days ago

Freedom Is A Constant Struggle by Angela Davis. It was on my TBR list for a while, and this current season of college protests against the war in Gaza makes it the perfect time to read it.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    13 days ago

I’ve been way busier than I expected with the end of the school year coming up. I managed to finally start The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble’s Braids by Michael McClung though. It’s been near the top of my TBR list when someone recommended it alongside The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch as great thief/heist style books. And it works for a Bingo Square.

I’m not really far enough in to have an opinion though.

• @the_gmg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    414 days ago

I’ve read the first couple chapters of Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre which I picked up after looking through the bingo thread.

I haven’t read any of her work before, and am enjoying it so far. I’m finding the prose pretty crisp and readable.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      213 days ago

I first read her stuff when she did a bunch of early Star Trek and Star Wars books in the 80s-90s. I always loved her stuff. Great choice.

• @misericordiae@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Powered through the second half of Stargazy Pie over the weekend. Tentatively starting Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin tonight for bingo.

• @giriinthejungle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    313 days ago

I am 10% into Lonesome Dove. Many people swear by it and to me has East of Eden vibes. I find the story a little slow but then there were a couple of scenes (all of which involved pigs) that made me laugh out loud. So far - worth it.

• @dshank@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    312 days ago

Just finished the final compendium of Invincible! Emotional journey through that series.

Currently reading “I, Robot” and “A Paradise of Small Houses” for two separate bookclubs.