• @weirdo_from_space@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21 year ago

I’m not sure if posting this to Reddit is the best move. People who respond to it will naturally be those who want to stay there, as you can see in the reddit thread you’ve linked.

Personally I like Lemmy and wanted to use it over Reddit long before most other people did. So even this place won’t be a replacement for the subreddit, it should be kept up in my opinion since there is clearly demand for it.

• @AtomWorker
    link
    English
    21 year ago

Lemmy is fine so far, but I have some concerns about the long term. Things like who’s keeping the platform updated and how is hosting being funded? In 5 years we may find ourselves in a Reddit-like situation where mods start asking for financial backing to keep the community afloat. I don’t mean that as a criticism, but even ignoring other factors these services cost money to run. I mean, in this era of inflation and rising interest rates it’s core to the problems we’re seeing with so many online services. Reddit’s leadership sucks and they’ve handled their situation in the worst possible way, but it’s clear that financially they’re in a difficult spot.

Beyond that, I expect the Nerfing community to fragment. Whether that’s a good or bad thing I don’t know. For my part, I’m not joining 5 different groups to keep tabs on what’s going on. I’ve got other interests and responsibilities. I’m happy to support the community here, but I’d be lying if I wasn’t a bit resentful that the Nerf Reddit is still locked. I appreciate the protest, but mods are just facet to the community.

• @Herbert_WOPM
    link
    English
    01 year ago

For the sake of keeping the conversation in one place and making your contributions maximally visible, I’d encourage everyone to comment on the post on reddit - but comments are of course open here as well, if you’d like.