Does fennec get around this?

• @Delusion6903OP
      link
      English
      -217 days ago

I see what you mean. My first post of a link from this app and I guess I wasn’t sure how this was going to look. I didn’t want to post anything myself hoping the article would be self explanatory.

The question remains, is Firefox damaging my phone in the long run? Is fennec better?

• No, I don’t recommend Fennec. Consider Mull if you want something without Mozilla’s telemetry. Mull has some of Tor Browser’s privacy features as well as not having telemetry.

That said, I don’t think Firefox is harmful in any way.

• @Delusion6903OP
          link
          English
          -117 days ago

I can’t handle scrolling with Mull. Otherwise, I love it.

• @Delusion6903OP
              link
              English
              -117 days ago

No. It’s horribly hideous on Mull and not bad on either Firefox or Fennec.

• I hate to be that person, but it’s completely fine for me. Then again, I use Firefox on my old phone (Moto G) and Mull on my new phone (Pixel 8), so maybe it impacts certain models more than others? Both seem totally fine to me, with Mull on the Pixel being more pleasant due to better hardware.

• @Delusion6903OP
                  link
                  English
                  117 days ago

I’m on a Pixel 8 myself. Compare scrolling on Mull and Firefox. I can’t believe you won’t notice. But if you do, you won’t be able to unsee it

• @Linus_Torvalds@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        417 days ago

Thank you for the reply! I did not want to be mean, rather explain why many people would downvote this post. Welcome to Lemmy!

• Dark Arc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      215 days ago

I mean, I think the point is to know whether it’s the loudest users or the majority of users.

I do think there’s a serious problem of removing the human element though. Ticking off 20% of your users might not be a big problem … unless those 20% of your users are your biggest advocates. That’s where I think Mozilla at times loses the forest for the trees.

• Dark Arc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    315 days ago

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about this. Chances are you’ll replace your phone way sooner than any of this will come back to bite you. If it was bad enough to be a real problem, there would be much bigger sources talking about it.

• @Delusion6903OP
      link
      English
      116 days ago

Blah blah I guess you didn’t read the while thread

• Rustmilian
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        16 days ago

You try the one from the repo like I said? It’s a newer version. 😒

• @ssm@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    17 days ago

I love how people treat Mozilla and Firefox as the sole savior of browser space from Google despite being in bed with Google, while for Firefox to not be spyware (dials home on startup, DoH to cloudflare, glean, opt-out telemetry you can’t easily disable, etc) and adware (pocket, “top sites”, extension ads) laden garbage, people use forks like Librewolf, ignoring browser projects that actually respect your privacy like qtweb{kit,engine} browsers (falkon, qutebrowser), gtkwebkit browsers (badwolf, luakit), and SerenityOS’s ladybird browser.

• @FlyingGayMonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      2117 days ago

Hey, i hate Google as much as the next guy, but cut Firefox some slack man. It’s the best compromise we could hope for, at least compared to the browsers you suggested with their abysmal UI & UX. The goal is for privacy to become mainstream, and no one without a bondage kink would ever touch theses with a 10 foot pole. Okay, putting Google as default browser gives it undeserved trust from your everyday user who won’t bother to change it : that’s a big problem, but if you want it to change, consider donating ! This will help Mozilla free itself from the mega corps.

• @Delusion6903OP
      link
      English
      317 days ago

Honestly, love Librewolf but I was totally unaware of the other engines this mentioned. Are they as full featured? Do they have mobile versions to sync with?