• Flying SquidOPM
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Even T’Lyn thought Spock took things way too far.

Basically, he’s lucky Sybok is his brother or he’d look awful.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        184 months ago

The fact that he was offered Kolinahr probably helped a bit.

The fact that he rejected it probably hurt a lot more:-P.

img

• @Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          174 months ago

The fact he rejected it in part because (per the novelization) he felt Kirk’s thoughts across who knows how many light years, and he was wishing Spock was there. That’s love, baby 🥹 Don’t get me started on “t’hy’la”!

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            134 months ago

Yeah iirc the movie turned that whole arc into merely about sensing the “pure logic” from Veger or sth, but the book went into way more depth, it is a really good read. Also, no matter how sexual you think Kirk is, it’s 10x more than that - that horn dog beats Riker levels even, and he even made it work in higher additional planes, like intellectual. Riker wishes he had a third of that sexual magnetism in his brain:-D. And wrapping back to what you said, Spock managed to notice his friend’s thoughts from several parsecs away…

• _NetNomad
    link
    fedilink
    394 months ago

riker fucking anything that moves and playing trombone checks out. life on a starship is just extended band camp for him

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Jean-Luc Picard is Indiana Jones… fight me. :-P

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        144 months ago

Doubly funny bc of the title of this post: “People still manage to get it backwards.” 😜

• The Picard ManeuverM
          link
          fedilink
          114 months ago

I was looking for a gif of Picard in his explorer clothes, then saw this abomination and decided I had to share…

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            174 months ago

You were looking for this one, right?

img

I mean, probably not originally, but now you’re looking at it!? :-D

Oh yeah and your choice was indeed a lot more funny than his explorer clothes:-)

img

• @OpenStars
                link
                English
                44 months ago

Wasn’t there another outfit that he wore in another episode? I was looking too but couldn’t find something easily that made him resemble Indiana Jones, so I included the latter one there just b/c it was nearby from the other one in case others had such troubles as well:-).

I guess there’s this but that’s definitely not what I was trying to remember:

img

So maybe it was the Risa episode after all…

• The Picard ManeuverM
                  link
                  fedilink
                  34 months ago

The risa one is the only I can think of, unless there’s some holodeck episode that I’m forgetting.

• @OpenStars
                link
                English
                54 months ago

Rom is always with us, in our hearts:-)

(Don’t even think about disagreeing with that statement, or people will My Child you into oblivion!:-P j/k, you can think whatever you want, but why would you want to - he deserves all of our love, b/c he loves his Moogie!:-D)

• @feedmecontent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    144 months ago

I think this applies to their youths, but the pendulum definitely swung on both characters and it is the “casual” perception by the time the shows take place I think

• @usernamefactory@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      44 months ago

Yeah, there’s a reason every bullet point is in the past tense. Also I feel like “cheated and got away with it” is being counted as a point in the wrong direction here…

• @wizzor@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    94 months ago

I think part of the difference is also who they were during academy years and who they are at the time of the shows.

• @OpenStars
      link
      English
      54 months ago

It would be bold of us to believe that they did not?:-)

• @OpenStars
          link
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Oh no… do you realize what you have done here!?

Count them: are there four hunks in the picture… or five? :-P

Edit: THERE!! ARE!! FOUR!!! HUNKS!!?!

• @Wogi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            54 months ago

I’m not debating that Jonathan Archer is a hunk, even when Trip is literally right there but I can’t see Archer and not think of how the entire first and most of the second season of that show was his entire crew telling him an idea was bad and then ordering it done anyway. I don’t even remember where this episode falls but I’m 99% sure he was warned against exactly this thing happening before he got on the shuttle.

• @OpenStars
              link
              English
              44 months ago

Oh is Archer there too? Please forgive my inattention - sexy Picard is all I have room for in my brain. 🥰 😇

But anyway, at a guess the entire episode was literally designed to get them to take their shirts off? :-O

• hopesdead
    link
    fedilink
    44 months ago

I’m laughing at this since we are mixing Prime Timeline Kirk with Kelvin Timeline Kirk.

• @Wogi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      94 months ago

I think the Kelvin timeline is someone vaguely remembering star trek and explaining it to a toddler, who then goes on to explain it to her grandma.

• hopesdead
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Okay, I actually had to explain something to my grandma: that Dax wasn’t trans, it’s a symbiont species.

• hopesdead
            link
            fedilink
            24 months ago

They thought the character being called “Old Man” by Sisko meant there was a sex change. Well sure, but not exactly.

• Jojo, Lady of the West
              link
              fedilink
              14 months ago

I doubt either Jadzia or Ezri would have thought of themselves as trans. At the very least not because Dax previously had a male host.

• hopesdead
                link
                fedilink
                14 months ago

Which is why I had to explain the symbiont. Normally I would have just said no, it’s confusing and moved on.

• @themoken@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

That’s a fun thought experiment. Weird to think about Kirk’s lines delivered in Shakespearean actor English instead of his iconic halting delivery.

• I really love the way SNW is filling in that transition period where Kirk’s this hard driving, blue flame, academy nerd, who’s out be youngest captain ever, but he’s also deeply head over heals in love with Carol. And how it becomes obvious that when Carol breaks his heart soon he’s going start acting out and pretending he’s some kind of slut during the TOS period. But we all know he’s just crying inside because the love of his life has dumped him.