Honestly though, “get on board or STFU” is not a particularly compelling pro-democracy bumper sticker, nor is “meh, what are you going to do?”

All we want is for someone to keep it 💯 - the percentage, not the age.

• @bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    261 month ago

Fun fact: back in the olden times of the 1900’s, it was common in the US to elect presidents who were under the age of 70. Or at least that’s what I’ve read in history books.

• SeaJ
      link
      fedilink
      81 month ago

Reagan was considered old when he was elected at the age of 69 and 73. One of the big marks against Bob Dole in 1996 was that he was 73. Biden will be 82 and Trump is 78.

• @bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        71 month ago

The last 2 US presidential elections have both had both candidates be so old that if they won, they would break the record for oldest president ever elected for their first/second term. A record that had previously been held by Reagan for decades.

• SeaJ
          link
          fedilink
          41 month ago

And with Reagan, he started having quite a few signs of Alzheimer’s during his second term.

• @OpenStarsOP
      link
      English
      41 month ago

Your username makes me think: I wonder when we’ll get the choice between a cyborg (where the machines are keeping the person alive) vs. a literally dead person (head in a jar? abstract representation of an administration without a lead person in it?).

Geriatric vs. felon may seem tame in the years to come!?

• @OpenStarsOP
          link
          English
          21 month ago

That’s “geriatric vs geriatric felon” so far… but we can go further!

(Yeah I meant as in “mere” geriatric, but excellent counterpoint - it’s not like we even have a choice in that regard)

• ALQ
        link
        fedilink
        21 month ago

It’ll be a while, since the parts would need to be made in the US if they’re going to be president.

• @OpenStarsOP
          link
          English
          21 month ago

Yeah, and we practically don’t make anything anymore. Except we’re starting to, now that it’s a matter of national security!

• @Melatonin@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    241 month ago

Jon Stewart is right. The conversation should be allowed. We spend too much time accepting the present situation as inevitable rather than thinking about changing it.

• @OpenStarsOP
      link
      English
      111 month ago

We can only control ourselves. Someone might say that we all (collectively) “have to” do whatever, but that ignores how real people - especially young people - simply won’t. Not everyone is going to vote for Biden. There’s a very real chance that his doubling down like this costs the election, and hands it to Trump. Or even causes some international incident just before that.

At some point, we all just need to hold our noses and vote. Exactly like Hillary Clinton. But we aren’t there yet??? And if we all recall, the similar situation with her did not pan out so well…

Anyway, Jon listens to people, and gives younger people a voice on the large screen (that we all watch on a small one regardless:-). And that is spectacular. 😍

• @Fizz@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    31 month ago

Any person suggesting running another candidate needs to start the conversation with who they think the replacement should be. People talk about dems running Biden like there is a layup candidate waiting and ready.

• @OpenStarsOP
      link
      English
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Attempting to change the conversation does not address any of these points made in the video. e.g. if Biden has a stroke or some such and doesn’t even last the summer much less the year much less be capable of being President of the United States for the next four years, that would not be great.

If a car was headed off a cliff, demanding that precision coordinates be entered correctly for the next destination is a poor adaptation to the current set of circumstances. Rather, the important thing is to not head off the cliff, immediately.

Anyway, Jon does address this point too, by showing a direct quote from Biden when he was asked this very question. His answer may surprise you. 16:10 is where it’s at.

Also, as Jon summarizes, he’s not asking Biden to step down. Just for an actual competition to be held, to offer the American people an actual choice. Bc we aren’t fascists, or at least we shouldn’t be.

• @demizerone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 month ago

There is a convention next week. Let them discuss, but Biden admin and DNC prefers to go the authoritarian route. Classic democrat technique of virtue signaling while doing the exact opposite.

• @Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Remember when we (on Reddit) thought that John Oliver was the guy that would enlighten everyone to what’s really going on?

We got the wrong Jon.

• @OpenStarsOP
      link
      English
      21 month ago

I’ve watched every episode and many other things from that John (Oliver), and he also offers great enlightenment. But he’s also more biased, fart joke humor, and lacks the humility that Jon Stewart has. It’s just different, not the same, and I miss seeing Job daily, though am so glad he’s back once a week!:-) For now…

• @clearedtoland@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    11 month ago

I’d probably jump off a bridge for Jon Stewart but I’ve been having a hard time with the show since he returned.

He’s always gestured and paused a lot but he’s been overrelying on it lately and you can feel the audience hesitate before catching the joke. A few of his interviews, he’s barely let the guest get a word in. They also do him dirty with his way too tan makeup that ends far enough below his hairline that you can clearly see the difference.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s still witty and vocal about things that matter but it’s not the old Jon.

I dunno, I’m just getting old.

• @OpenStarsOP
      link
      English
      71 month ago

Things change all the time. His team is different - even if they were identically the same people, he has changed, they have changed, and the relationship between them has changed. Even if you take the duration of time that he’s been away from the show and compare himself at the end vs. himself that same amount of time before it, you would surely find differences.

For one thing, going in once a week rather than every day has got to be different. For another, he’s now the star of the show rather than its “leader”. As he said, he’s an old man venting his frustrations to the world about this fucked-up shitstorm of an election, and then he’ll leave - and we all know it (man, I allowed myself to forget already until now:-|). He practices less, and each time he makes a tape he then goes home and relaxes for a week and then has to “get back into it” upon his return - every single time.

Maybe the hairline thing is revealing something more fundamental/foundational: he doesn’t want to get his hair messed up, for later in the week, in this “job” that he comes to once a week, rather than showing up every single day, being at the leadership helm. I’m saying: he’s not (all the way) “back”, not fully, not like it was before. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, b/c it was killing him and his relationship with his family, to have to put in THAT much effort to do it all - both be the star and the leader at the same time.

And yet, he keeps it 💯 - that’s what we are there for! The rest fades away, as he says what should, nay must, be said, except won’t be by those in power.

Damn I’m going to miss him when he steps back down again:-(. 😭 Nobody else even comes close. Though I’m really liking Josh Johnson.