I am going to ask if I may use linux for work. We are using windows but there is nothing that couldn’t be done on linux. Privately, I am mainly a fedora user but I’d be happy with any OS and DE or wm. What do I need to look out for when I suggest an OS? What does a computer/ linux/DE need in order to be ready for enterprise workstation? Will I only have a user and no sudo rights? May I install all flatpak apps? Does the admin have to be able to remote ssh?

• @delirious_owl
    link
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Many orgs mandate this. You’ll be fine.

I used to roll out mint xfce edition or Qubes to our staff laptops, unless an employee asked for a specific distro. I think some used fedora.

Don’t use flatpak; its a security risk.

• @krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Why is flatpak a security risk? The applications run isolated and offer higher security, unless I’m missing something?

• @delirious_owl
        link
        11 month ago

Because it doesn’t verify the authenticity of code it downloads before it installs it

• @sfera@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          21 month ago

I don’t think that that’s true. At least not more than for any other community maintained packages.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            31 month ago

Debain is community maintained packages and they’ve done signed manifests on all packages, required by default, since like 2002.

Flapak and snap are terribly insecure compared to standard distro package managers

• Domi
          link
          fedilink
          11 month ago

Neither does dnf/apt/pacman. You are always at the mercy of the package maintainer(s).

• @delirious_owl
            link
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Nope. Apt definitely cryptographiclly verifies the signatures of everything that it downloads. See man apt-secure

• Domi
              link
              fedilink
              11 month ago

I’m aware, signing the package is not the same thing as signing the code. The application is built by the package maintainer(s) and then the resulting packages are signed.

Which is the same thing that Flatpak does. Both depend on the trust for the repo owner and the package maintainer.