• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    271 month ago

This is basically just a rant from a person who is bad at remembering to charge things.

• @LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      101 month ago

I’m also bad at this and I’m 100% behind rechargables. Now heckin way my ADHD ass is gonna remember where the AA batteries are at better than a USB-C cable I used every day

• @stealth_cookies@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      91 month ago

I disgree. I have plenty of items around the house that I might only need a few times per year where a standard alkaline or NiMH cell is ideal because I can pop one in when I need it. If the Li-on cell discharges when I don’t use it for a period of time then it may not charge anymore and the device is now garbage.

• @deranger@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Lithium ion cells do not have high self discharge rates nor do they suffer from the memory effect. I’ve left 18650s charged for years and they work fine, ditto for 14500 (AA sized lithium ion). Sure, they lose some charge, but there’s still plenty of capacity even after sitting for a long time. Can’t say I’ve ever been disappointed with the various flavors of lithium cells, but NiMH was pretty bad until Eneloops came around. Alkaline is still my go to for remotes.

You’re also not going to encounter many situations where alkaline (1.5v)/NiMH (1.3v) can be swapped with lithium ion (4.2v). Certain flashlights are the only things I’ve got where you can swap 1.5v and 4.2v and that’s because they’ve got the circuitry to handle that.

• @XTL@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

NiCd and NiMH batteries die when left in slow drain devices as the first cell to go empty starts to be reverse charged. These die and often leak pretty fast and you see that all the time if you repair old devices.

Li packs don’t go empty as the battery protection circuit cuts the slow drain when they reach low water voltage. They are revived when the protection mode charge reaches low water mark again. They’ll be fine unless you leave them for years and years. Even then they generally never leak.

• @stealth_cookies@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 month ago

That isn’t really true though, any vampire currents or leaving it only partially charged can leave it in a state where it reaches the cutoff voltage when you aren’t using it. Then self-discharge takes it under the limit of the charging circuit and the device never works again.

With a device that can run off AA or AAA cells, you can use NiMH (NiCd has zero place today) and remove the batteries when you are done and put them back in the pool of other cells you use. By the nature of Li-ion, as soon as that cell is made it has a limited lifetime until it no longer works just due to reactions that happen within the cell, which means any infrequently used item that might last for decades otherwise now has a lifetime of maybe 5-10 years.