The Colorado funeral home owners who allegedly stored 190 decaying bodies and sent grieving families fake ashes were ordered by a judge to pay US$950 million to the victims’ relatives in a civil case, the attorney announced Monday.

The judgment is unlikely to be paid out since the owners, Jon and Carie Hallford, have been in financial trouble for years. They also face hundreds of criminal charges in separate state and federal cases, including abuse of a corpse, and allegations they took US$130,000 from families for cremations and burials they never provided.

That leaves the nearly US$1 billion sum largely symbolic of the emotional devastation wreaked on family members who learned the remains of their mothers, fathers or children weren’t in the ashes they ceremonially spread or clutched tight but were instead decaying in a bug-infested building.

“I’m never going to get a dime from them, so, I don’t know, it’s a little frustrating,” said Crystina Page, who had hired the funeral home, Return to Nature, to cremate her son’s remains in 2019.

• @some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      11 month ago

It’s silly and meaningless and there’s no real point. It’s symbolic but what it symbolizes is the cartoonishness of our society. When these people get locked up, that will mean something.

• @cynthorpe
        link
        41 month ago

What I mean is why did they have all those bodies? It seems like a lot of work. A lot more work than it is to just burn the bodies

• @girlfreddy@lemmy.caOP
          link
          fedilink
          41 month ago

Because they had to pay the crematorium to burn the bodies, and they were broke. So stash the bodies and give the families dirt instead.