• @ravhall
    link
    English
    1719 days ago

Gotta add that “pedocriminal” thing so people don’t argue against it. Don’t wanna be seen “supporting pedocriminals” by supporting encrypted communications

• @stonerboner@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -619 days ago

The catch-22 is that it’s impossible to make this tool freely available as-is without also enabling the child abuse. You can’t pry the apart, or at the very least nobody has managed to yet.

So do we accept the abuse and let it proliferate, in the name of privacy? Or do we sacrifice privacy to make sure theres not a safe place for abusers?

There is no answer where no one gets hurt. It sucks when the interests of good align with the interests of bad, and it’s a shit show one way or the other.

• @ravhall
        link
        English
        1419 days ago

The Catholic Church abuses kids, so… ban that. Ban adults alone in a room with a child—something could happen. Oh, sometimes they get abuse at school… so, that’s gotta go. Oh no, they get abused on the internet… bye bye internet.

You can’t say “this could be used to abuse a child” because you could abuse a child with a spoon, but I’ll be damned if I’ll eat soup with a fork.

link
          fedilink
          English
          -819 days ago

The Catholic Church should absolutely face dire consequences for the abuse they perpetuate and defend. Loss of tax status, prison for all abusers and those who assisted them in avoiding jail. You are making a great parallel.

It’s not that it “could be” used to abuse a child, wtf. It’s that is has already been widely adopted. It’s currently happening. Same as the Catholic Church.

You’re really trying hard to make this about “possible” crimes while ignoring the material ones.

• @ravhall
            link
            English
            1119 days ago

No I’m not. Stopping private conversations will only hurt people. Kids will continue to be abused regardless. They were before Telegram, they will be after. Any “protect the children” by removing rights is never about the children.

• @Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1219 days ago

The catch-22 is that it’s impossible to make this tool freely available as-is without also enabling the child abuse.

The catch-22 is that it’s impossible to make roads freely available as-is without also enabling road rage.

The lack of implanted radio telemetry devices in our dicks “enables” rape.

Basically, fuck off with that idiotic horseshit.

link
          fedilink
          English
          -319 days ago

But roads are heavily regulated and monitored. In fact, they’re directly managed by the government. If I experience road rage I can call the police with the license plate number and there’s databases of drivers with pictures and VINs etc. This is not the point you think you were making.

the lack of implanted radio telemetry …

Absolutely wild that you’re accusing others of idiotic horseshit

• @Allero@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        419 days ago

I’d argue that, while privacy comes at a cost to society, it’s an essential building block of democracy.

Unfortunately, we cannot uncover messages of child abusers without also helping uncover messages of opposition leaders, for example.

Also, as our lives move more and more digital, basic expectation of personal privacy online becomes part of comfortable digital living. We all have things we don’t want a random dude in the uniform to see, even if there’s nothing criminal in there at all.

That said, total digital surveillance is probably gonna cost us more than digital privacy, but government has a lot to gain from it, which is, to my mind, why we have this unpopular thing pushed so hard in the first place. Public is generally very vocal about NOT wanting this.