• circuitfarmer
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Related: anyone been on TikTok lately? I know misinformation is all over social media in general, but holy fuck is it bad on TikTok. Even after using custom filters to try and avoid election stuff altogether, it seems like every other post is some ridiculous MAGA BS without sources making some outrageous claim about Democrats.

Case in point: according to multiple posts I saw earlier today, both Kamala and Tim Walz have dropped out of the race.

• teft
          link
          fedilink
          613 days ago

Algorithms show what the company wants you to see, not what you choose to see.

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            013 days ago

I mean kind of but not really? Most of my algo isn’t identifyably political, but the bit that is, is all left of liberal.

• Facebook was like that for ages, posts about the try that in a small town guy outselling Taylor swift, woke celebrities begging to work with kid rock but bring denied, Disney announcing they’re firing all their diversity hires… it’s like they’re living in a totally different reality.

• circuitfarmer
        link
        fedilink
        113 days ago

I’ve never interacted with a single post, nor is the account tied to an email which is used for anything else.

• circuitfarmer
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            13 days ago

I’m aware of that. I actively try and skip political stuff as quickly as possible. I understand how the algorithm is supposed to work, but in my experience, it isn’t working that way. On a fresh account, the first video it ever served me was a MAGA post.

Edit: I also considered that maybe it was location based. My TikTok has no overt permissions (unneeded if you never post), no contact sharing, and I always access through a VPN. Does not seem to matter which VPN server/location I select.

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              13 days ago

Oh yeah, it is location based, when I first started they kept trying to give me local, South Carolinian right-wing “comedy”.

It was the cringiest shit I have ever seen in my life, and as a furry, that is not a low bar.