• Flying Squid
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    13 days ago

American adoption agencies can deny adoptions if they don’t like anything about you. Including your religion. And most of them are Christian, including the ones getting money from the state.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/20/holston-united-methodist-home-for-children-adoption-tennessee-refused-family-jewish/6582864001/

China, on the other hand, allowed you to adopt if you’re things like queer or single or not Christian.

• Flying Squid
        link
        fedilink
        -612 days ago

By queer, I didn’t mean all types of queer people. I mean that many people who fall under that spectrum have been able to successfully adopt children from China when denied by the U.S.

• @Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          1012 days ago

My question is about any type of non “conventional” couple being approved for adoption in China. As I understand it, their policy involved a strict “moral standing” to adopt, anything that deviated was instantly denied. So I am confused as to how any queer people would pass that test, let alone that its happened.

• Flying Squid
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                12 days ago

Possibly, but they seem more sincere about their bigotry.

Edit: They’re also more in tune with Western social norms that might indicate someone isn’t 100% heterosexual and they can do things like check marriage licenses.

• @ravhall
      link
      212 days ago

I understand that some of them have issues. Instead of fixing those supply chain issues, we have been outsourcing to China.

• @fern@lemmy.autism.place
        link
        fedilink
        English
        612 days ago

Even if that’s the term we have for it, I hate the use of supply chain here, it’s got such an uncaring tone…

• @ravhall
          link
          412 days ago

International adoption is a rather uncaring business to be in. Sure, it’s “for the children,” but I’m betting cash is still king.