Let’s say just like for example like MacOS. It’s awesome we have so many tools but at the same time lack of some kind of standardization can seem like nothing works and you get overwhelmed. I’m asking for people that want to support Linux or not so tech-savy people.

• @Integrate777
    link
    edit-2
    10 days ago

On top of being preinstalled, we also need google search-able instructions that avoid the terminal altogether. People are afraid of the terminal, it doesn’t matter why, it just is.

Currently, most solutions to linux problems come in the form of terminal commands. We would have to start creating a whole new troubleshooting forum where instructions avoid the terminal and are just lists of buttons to press in a GUI. Probably helpful screenshots too.

Of course I have no idea if some things even have GUIs at all, like configuring user groups and permissions or firewall settings, someone would need to make them. Not to mention every DE or program would need a different set of instructions, GNOME or KDE, firewalld or iptables. It’ll be a lot of work.

• @ian@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      9 days ago

I searched but never ever found a website with Linux help specially for non IT people. This is seriously needed. Everywhere I’ve looked, gatekeepers with no clue about the GUI solutions, insist people use the command line for day to day user tasks. Sure things vary between desktop environments, but it’s important people learn about their desktop. It’s how they get comfortable, and stay. And not stuck reliant on strangers having to spoon feed them cryptic text commands each time. I’d be happy to help contribute. As I’ve found GUI ways to do nearly everything.

• @TBi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      710 days ago

I’m tech literate and use the command line daily. I enjoy how powerful it is but I also enjoy the ease of point and click on windows.

After a hard day coding at work I much prefer poking around windows than using a command line on Linux.

• @Revan343@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      69 days ago

This is the biggest thing. I’m very comfortable in Bash, but that is not the norm; the second my wife needs to run sudo apt get, she’s out, fuck that

• I will say part of problem is knowledgeable volunteers will almost always want to just cp and paste a command string over the docs needed to walk someone through doing it in the current version of GUI.

I’ve done both. Repeatable user instructions for GUIs IS NOT FUN. Maybe if we can get some automation to turn vague directions into detailed ones and better yet testable (supporting something like OpenQA) it might help lower the burden for a project to do so.

• @ian@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        69 days ago

Copy pasting strange commands people will not memorise does not solve it! To keep non IT people on Linux, they need to find out how their desktop GUI works, so they are in control and happy to stay. The aim is not to use the minimum possible time writing the tips. Thrusting an unfamiliar environment on people is sure to scare them away, and is bad usability.

• @Revan343@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            39 days ago

Fair; that was mostly a general warning, not necessarily directed at you, because many people do copypaste terminal commands without knowing what they are actually doing.

As long as you understand what a command does, absolutely go for it. No point typing that shit out when somebody else already has

• Honestly maybe we need something like a portable guided tour format (you the “see what’s new in …” things but from strangers for specific thing).

• @iopq@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              28 days ago

That’s an interesting idea, but the problem with UIs is you need some kind of a format to interact with all of the toolkits and legacy programs just to be able to figure out where on the screen the button you need to click is

• Right. I feel like maybe Free Desktop standard, tight integration with top toolkits (qt, gtk, etc) and a some image recognition for fall back.