• @tenchiken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    506 days ago

“up to $23 an hour”… Doing a whole lotta heavy lifting in this headline.

How is it sane to list the maximum you can make, vs what to expect day 1?!

• Norah - She/They
        link
        fedilink
        English
        166 days ago

Aldi announced that it it looking to hire thousands of new workers, as well as increasing their minimum wage to $18 and $23 an hour.

My read on this, is that they are discussing the minimum for two separate positions. Potentially cashier and team leader. Would make sense as they don’t have many employees on shift at a time.

• ObjectivityIncarnate
          link
          fedilink
          45 days ago

Should have kept reading:

The national average starting wages for Aldi workers will be set at $18 an hour and $23 an hour for warehouse workers.

• @tenchiken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        6 days ago

I hope so. It would be a nice change compared to… Well… Everything.

Edit: ahhhh see it now. I read it as “up to” alone, but implied “increased to” instead.

English is hard sometimes.

• Norah - She/They
          link
          fedilink
          English
          106 days ago

It really is. The fact “up to” can mean either a maximum value, or an increase to a value, is stupid.

• Sale, up to 90% off!

Where the 90% off is the triple clearance table that’s been inventory they genuinely can’t get rid of, while everything else is 10-15% off

• ObjectivityIncarnate
      link
      fedilink
      95 days ago

That’s just being read wrong, it’s not written like a “save up to $10” kind of line. The “up” just describes the change (i.e. ‘the starting wage is going up; becoming $X’). Within the article, it’s completely unambiguous:

The national average starting wages for Aldi workers will be set at $18 an hour and $23 an hour for warehouse workers.

• Maeve
      link
      fedilink
      45 days ago

The article says that those are the starting wages, for store and warehouse, respectively.