Researchers still don’t know the cause of a recently discovered malware infection affecting almost 1.3 million streaming devices running an open source version of Android in almost 200 countries.

• @pandapoo@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    114 days ago

This is about the boxes you plug into the TV, like a Roku, or Fire TV, except it’s the cheap Chinese white box rebranded Android TV boxes you buy on places likeAmazon, Ali, and eBay.

• @BB_C@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 days ago

They don’t even run Android TV. They run a modified (normal) Android. This is well known, but the article also mentions it.

• @burgersc12@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 days ago

So basically a non-issue unless you just plug the cheapest streaming box you can get your hand on into your devices.

• @pandapoo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 days ago

I didn’t say they’re the cheapest, just that the boxes I’m personally aware of with this problem are white box rebranded ATVs.

But I haven’t looked through the entire list, so it’s entirely possible that some other more well-known and “respectable” device brands are also compromised. If you have an Android TV box, you should probably search the list to find out.