I was reading a comment thread recently.

One commenter stated that they are aware of the people who are “dumber” than them, and if they are not aware the person they are talking to is either similar in intelligence or smarter than they are.

So my question is, do you have this awareness?

Are you conscious of your relative standing in the intelligence hierarchy around you?

And a side point, can you tell a smart person is acting dumb to fit in with those around them?

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    23 days ago

https://medium.com/@max.p.schlienger/the-cargo-cult-of-the-ennui-engine-890c541cebcb is a really good read about that. e.g. Lemmy can be bad as well, even if to a significantly lesser degree.

Also while on Reddit I found myself becoming angrier, more combative in my argumentation, less empathetic and kind, etc. Trolls cause that effect - it’s definitely no bueno. And sometimes literal teenagers can act like trolls, without even really meaning to or trying at it, just not thinking about it.

That was when I gave up my pride of being willing to listen to literally everyone - it’s just flat not worth it, it is harmful to me, not helpful even for them, and perpetuates a cycle of negativity.

And Lemmy definitely requires a heavy hand on the block button, I have found!:-) But then after all that effort, in the midst of the noise, occasionally some worthwhile people and conversations can come through.

So don’t be too afraid to block people here. I wouldn’t do that for someone who is unintelligent, but I would most definitely do it for someone who consistently engages in trolling behavior, intelligent or no.