I was reading a comment thread recently.

One commenter stated that they are aware of the people who are “dumber” than them, and if they are not aware the person they are talking to is either similar in intelligence or smarter than they are.

So my question is, do you have this awareness?

Are you conscious of your relative standing in the intelligence hierarchy around you?

And a side point, can you tell a smart person is acting dumb to fit in with those around them?

• @absGeekNZ@lemmy.nzOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    23 days ago

The needs thing is interesting. But you can’t really have a conversation about the higher needs without the lower needs being satisfied first.

• @OpenStars
      link
      English
      13 days ago

Right… so is that “all” that EI is, another level below IQ, like physical safety is below either of those, or is it perhaps another half of the same rung on the ladder?

I don’t know, maybe nobody does, maybe someone does and I just haven’t heard it from them:-).

They are so extremely similar though - both involve a type of processing, both involve puzzle solving, and memory, and other shared components. It’s just that one pertains to matters of the heart, and the other the brain.

And to my knowledge there isn’t anything else like it to be a third, but neither can we seem to isolate a discussion about just one, without the other getting pulled in as well. Like to learn math (IQ), patience (EI) is required, while to avoid mistakes (EI), we have to first understand (IQ) what might happen. The dichotomy is everywhere we look, at least among matters pertaining to humanity.