• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    241 day ago

Oh huh… I did not actually realize this was a tendency for ADHD spectrum people. Though I’m pretty sure I’ve got a lot least one or two that are 100% real, so that’s fun too

• db0OPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      381 day ago

ADHD peeps from older generations typically were not diagnosed at all, so they were just classified as lazy, and some parents tried to “fix” this laziness with some pretty heavy handed methods if you know what I mean.

• @MehBlah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        14 hours ago

Lazy? You mean slow gaited like a mule. That was my dads description of me. I am left handed too which is why I could never be as good as him at many things. May he rot.

• HubertManne
        link
        fedilink
        81 day ago

I sometimes wonder if I am but this would be the opposite of my childhood experience. I was “introverted” or socially ackward they would say but I did well in classes which was usually the yard stick for laziness. getting homework done. it is interesting to see all the takes from this community.

• db0OPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 day ago

There’s plenty of ADHD people who excel in school actually. It can go either way. Often it depends on how much luck you have with your teachers. If they happen to have a compatible type to ADHD children, or are ND themselves, it tends to go massively better. My child went from failing school to excelling, by just a change of school and teachers.

• @DokPsy@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            120 hours ago

My grades were pretty much dependent on how much homework and long term projects were worth cause I almost never did either. Test grades were usually good though

• @Carbonizer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          31 day ago

I was one of those ADHD kids who was socially awkard but excelled in class too. I was (and still am) probably awkward because I was at best ostracized and at worst bullied by every kid in school, but it is what it is.

• HubertManne
            link
            fedilink
            21 day ago

I was lucky in that my high school was large enough that there were like a half dozen of us so we had a little group. oh man though the small catholic school before that was not great.