Israel carried out its operation against Hezbollah on Tuesday by hiding explosive material within a new batch of Taiwanese-made pagers imported into Lebanon, according to American and other officials briefed on the operation.

The pagers, which Hezbollah had ordered from Gold Apollo in Taiwan, had been tampered with before they reached Lebanon, according to some of the officials. Most were the company’s AP924 model, though three other Gold Apollo models were also included in the shipment.

The explosive material, as little as one to two ounces, was implanted next to the battery in each pager, two of the officials said. A switch was also embedded that could be triggered remotely to detonate the explosives.

MBFC
Archive

• @werefreeatlast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 hours ago

Why should we all not expect our next Amazon device to be just a friendly brick with an ad on it?

Because, unless you can easily open the thing to see inside, there’s enough space in side of all new phones to blow our leg or our faces off apparently.

Now thanks to this, phones don’t fly. So hey, you’re going to Hawaii? Better ship your phone separately on time so it gets there before you do. You want flights to be safe and not full of these dangerous bricks. Ofcourse, screw the mail man who will have to drive from the Continental United States over to Hawaii. It’s a water truck… details details…

Should I buy a new device for my kids and or family or myself? Nope unless the thing is transparent like an iMac.

An iMac is an old model personal computer sold by Apple, where the chassis was mostly translucent with bright colors.

• Dr. Moose
      link
      fedilink
      English
      04 hours ago

This is crazy that we tolerate such a breach of social trust.