• °˖✧ ipha ✧˖°
    link
    fedilink
    75 hours ago

They already have. Have you noticed the number of ads shown on google maps?

And I’ve been increasing given directions like “turn right after paid promotion X, with tagline Y”

• Carighan Maconar
      link
      fedilink
      143 minutes ago

They already have. Have you noticed the number of ads shown on google maps?

No? I’ve never seen any ads on Google Maps, though this might be a local thing. I suspect this is different in the US where “consumer rights” gets you a fine for speaking such communist propaganda?

• Enshittification truly is a shame, because my old school GPS actually does this already (Turn left past the McDonald’s) and while I have no idea whether it’s paid promotion or not on my device, I like that feature. If that feature is equally applied to any known business as a landmark (heck, even other services like police stations, fire stations, etc.) it would be appreciated by users.

Instead, and here we are beating this drum again, capitalism gets its grubby fingers in this pie too and uses it for further advertising, turning a good feature into a bad one.

• Carighan Maconar
        link
        fedilink
        141 minutes ago

That’s a good point actually, if it’s not paid-for, then assuming it’s accurate it’s actually a better way of describing to a driver what to do.

I remember a fair few years ago, when Google Maps was already a thing but smart phones were not, we were bewildered at how helpful this thing for printed Google Maps instructions was where it prints a little photograph of each turn you need to do, how it will look to you when you get there. This was the best feature ever, as it made it so easy for your second person checking the route to know when to actually take a turn or not.

• @Adalast@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      13 hours ago

Oh hell, I have not had that one yet. I am already leaning away from it with just the random pins showing up on my nav that were not searched for.