Tho I must admit that I would never get that close to the surface with my bare hands while doing this.

• @deegeese@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      4912 hours ago

Reading more, everything I see describes them as bony, salty and very fishy tasting, best served smoked or grilled to mask the flavor.

Sounds like we’re not missing much.

• @delirious_owl
          link
          English
          edit-2
          7 hours ago

You can get protein from lettuce and apples lol

• @Metz@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              4 hours ago

Yes, you can. Lettuce has around 2 gramm per 100. Apples 0.3

As comparison beef has 26.

So while lettuce has much less, saying you can’t get proteins from it is just plain wrong.

• Enkrod
                link
                fedilink
                English
                93 hours ago

There are different kinds of proteins build from different amino acids, 9 of 20 amino acids are essential, meaning our bodies can not produce them, so we need to eat them. Meat contains all the amino acids we need in our bodies in the amount we need in our bodies. For vegetables that’s not necessarily the case.

Because of that vegetable protein needs to be very varied and balanced to be a complete diet, and just lettuce and apples is not enough.

In a first world country we can get these vegetable proteins varied and year round with little to no problem, which makes vegan diet a sustainable and morally superior diet.

In the developing world people are generally happy about being able to have a complete diet, moral questions take a backseat to survival and health, so carnivorous or piscivorous diets are far more common.

• @MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  44 minutes ago

Meat contains all the amino acids we need in our bodies in the amount we need in our bodies.

If i remember right, the numbers were aroind 90% for eggs, 40% for steak and 12% for grain. As much can be used directly, the rest needs to be disassembled into amino acids and rebuilt.

edit: my bad, mine is about similiarity of proteins, yours about the components.

• @tomi000@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                53 hours ago

Pretty sure everyone else understood the meaning behind the sentence ‘you can get protein from lettuce and apples’. You need a certain amount of daily protein intake for a healthy diet and the comment implied you can get those from lettuce and apples. It is technically kinda true if you take it literally, but eating 5kg of lettuce is not practical.

• @Cypher@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                44 hours ago

Both lettuce and apples are incomplete sources of protein and could not sustain a healthy diet.

Fish is a complete source of protein.

• @Metz@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  -33 hours ago

That was not the point and you know it. And of course you would have to add more vegetables to get a full set of all essential amino acids. But the statement “you can’t get proteins from lettuce” remains wrong. You absolutely can.

• @tomi000@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    edit-2
                    3 hours ago

That was the point and I think you know it.

Play this argument in your head: ‘You need calories to survive’ - ‘You can get calories from concrete and sand’

In that situation, would you seriously argue that those actually contain nutrients at 0.0001 kcal per 100g? This was not very far from that.

• @Cypher@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    -23 hours ago

Protein is protein and if this is where someone needs to get it, then this is what it will be

It is the point, if fish is what someone needs to obtain complete protein then that’s what they’ll do. Lettuce is not a replacement for fish which is what was being implied.

I understand if you have difficulty following basic comment chains and comprehending comments, with your lack of a balanced diet.