• This is saddening.

I know the invidious contributors have been working on this over the last few months. Looks like they finally got there only to have youtube slam the door. That’s a real gut punch.

I already switched to running an instance at home instead of my VPS, so this news doesn’t change much for me personally but it’s a demonstration that youtube is actively seeking to block the project.

As with reddit / lemmy, I doubt a viable alternative will emerge until youtube has become well and truly offensive.

• Lime Buzz (fae/she)
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

As with reddit / lemmy, I doubt a viable alternative will emerge until youtube has become well and truly offensive.

Even after it has this is very unlikely because part of the appeal of youtube is getting paid for work and most people either don’t have the money to pay for it, choose not to or hate the platforms through which creators ask to get paid through.

Like it or not, either it’ll be another tech company who will later do this exact same thing or we need more people willing to pay and less shitty platforms through which they can do so i.e. not VC backed/supported.

• Perhaps. I think consumers are more willing to pay producers than they have been in the past. I acknowledge that the time is not yet right, but with time, the less appealing youtube is the more likely alternatives will become.