Hey everyone, you may have noticed that some of us have been raising alarms about the amount of spam accounts being created on insufficiently protected instances.

As I wanted to get ahead of this before we’re shoulders deep in spam, I developed a small service which can be used to parse the Lemmy Fediverse Observer and retrieve instances which are suspicious enough to block.

The Overseer provides fully documented REST API which you can use to retrieve the instances in 3 different formats. One with all the info, one with just the names, and one as a csv you can copy-paste into your defederation setting. You can even adjust the level of suspicion you want to have.

Not only that, I also developed a python script which you can edit and run and it will automatically update your defederation list. You can set that baby to run on a daily schedule and it will take care that any new suspicious instances are also caught and any servers that cleared up their spam accounts will be recovered.

I plan to improve this service further. Feel free to send me ideas and PRs.

• db0OPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

Cheers mate, I’m in bed atm so I’ll check tomorrow

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        English
        111 months ago

I got the client to run in a container on a cronjob docker run --rm --name overseer-eye -e LEMMY_DOMAIN=discuss.online -e USERNAME=overseer -e PASSWORD=<PASSWORD> lemmy-overseer-eye:latest

I thought I’d containerize the server too, but it lacks a schema. Or I’m missing something?

• db0OPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

The eeever is just a python script. Not sure what schema you need

• jgrim of SublinksA
            link
            English
            111 months ago

The server has a database connection to sqlite or postgres.

• db0OPM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              111 months ago

It’s setup to have one yes, but I haven’t created a db yet. It’s my next step

• jgrim of SublinksA
                link
                English
                111 months ago

Well, that explains it then. Thanks. I thought I was going crazy. Sorry about that.