• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    196 hours ago

Is it disinformation or merely misinformation here? The former seems to imply someone knowing what they are talking about but lying to the recipient, while the latter is someone clueless what even they themselves are saying.

Oh, but maybe you meant that falling for the misinformation opens people up to therefore be more receptive to actual disinformation.

Either way I thought I would share that I was being tripped up by that word, in case that feedback helps you to reach a wider audience without having to encounter such barriers.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        11 hour ago

And thank you for making me feel welcomed:-)

• @Subtracty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      214 hours ago

I was torn between the use of misinformation and disinformation. And comments on Lemmy are often speaking into a void, so I honestly did not think it would matter. I appreciate the clarification and agree that misinformation is more appropriate. But agree that falling for misinformation leads to disinformation.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        143 hours ago

Comments in Lemmy are also sometimes like talking to a spiky wall, so I am glad that you took this in the spirit that I intended!:-)