• @LarmyOfLone@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    -211 hours ago

Not sure what year but the culture definitely changed somewhere around 2008-2016. A big part was trump of course, but before that the rise in android and iphone and becoming more popular to a broader segment of the public (e.g. “boomers”). Before it was tech enthusiasts all on desktop PC. This was also before toxic gamer culture.

If you don’t think it changed you must have trauma induced amnesia.

• @OpenStars
      link
      English
      85 hours ago

So you claim that people are too hyperbolic, then jump straight to accusing the person you replied to of brain damage, and this after jumping straight to the assumption that the majority of said problems were due to Boomers finding Reddit, not e.g. Millennials or Gen-Z or Alpha or merely a less technical audience. If you were attempting a joke there, that was not clear - and yes I saw the “e.g.” but you only listed one, so really, this seems to be the best example that you had to convey? Boomers, who are well known for their toxic gaming culture, I suppose.

As mentioned by others, I for one do not user block instances bc “tankies”, but rather bc they are an enormous waste of time. Although the very meaning of that word could also be phrased as “denier of historically accurate facts”. I for one don’t care if someone is a Boomer or a Millennial or whatever physical age, if they don’t know or care that 1+1=2 and keep insisting that it’s =3 instead, I’m blocking them and moving on with my life. Hopefully they’ll open themselves up to the Truth one day, but I’m not waiting anymore, that’s entirely on them to go at whatever pace and direction they want, including straight backwards if they so choose - but I am not going to entertain the notion that “all directions/facts are equally valid”, they simply aren’t.