Search on Telegram is more powerful than in other messaging apps because it allows users to find public channels and bots. Unfortunately, this feature has been abused by people who violated our Terms of Service to sell illegal goods.

To further deter criminals from abusing Telegram Search, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, ensuring they are consistent across the world. We’ve made it clear that the IP addresses and phone numbers of those who violate our rules can be disclosed to relevant authorities in response to valid legal requests.

• @erenkoylu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    79 hours ago

Signal was always better

I love the premise of Signal, but there are too many red flags. Some of my issues are:

• Hostility against 3rd party clients
    • US-based legal entity
    • Too much tied with Google libs on android
    • No official Fdroid support
    • Open source claims are undermined by code blackouts from time to time.
    • @communism@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      13 hours ago

That’s fair. I just use it because it’s what everyone’s on. When I used Briar only one other person I spoke to used it, and I just use Matrix for some more techy communities I’m in. For my friends and non-tech-savvy comrades, they’re all on Signal, and I imagine trying to move people to something more decentralised/more in the spirit of foss/etc would lead to my social circles becoming very split in terms of how I talk to them. But I get your point.