• @zecg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    5622 hours ago

It’s a win for humanity if it causes more people to leave and stop thinking it’s a public forum.

• @Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -118 hours ago

It IS a public forum though. The whole point of it, even dating back to it’s inception, was very very public conversation. It was in stark contrast to facebook, which claimed to be privacy driven. As opposed to the mostly public myspace, and the completely public twitter.

• @ulkesh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1617 hours ago

Since Musk took it, it’s more like an arena where the loudest and dumbest have the microphones. It is neither a haven for free speech nor a forum where legitimate discourse takes place. It has become the trash pit of the internet.

• @Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          216 hours ago

That’s not what was said though. I was saying that it was a PUBLIC forum. I’m not stating WHAT is being said. Merely that it’s being said in a public way.

• @MagicShel@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            13 hours ago

I don’t think I would agree that just because something is public that it’s a public forum. I feel like the public has to own it as well. I looked it up and maybe it’s because I predate social media by rather a lot, but I think of it in the classical sense:

Public forums are typically categorized into three types:

1. Traditional Public Forums: Long-established spaces like parks or sidewalks, where people have historically exercised their rights to free speech and assembly.
            2. Designated Public Forums: Areas that the government intentionally opens up for public expression, such as town halls or school meeting rooms.
            3. Limited Public Forums: Spaces opened for specific types of discussions or activities but with certain restrictions on the subject matter or participants.

The important factor being public ownership of the forum. I will concede that it has colloquially come to include public social media, but I think it’s important to distinguish that it’s not really the same thing at all as has been discussed through most of our history.

Food for thought. I just think calling them public forums attaches too much importance to a profit seeking endeavor.

• @ulkesh@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              413 hours ago

Exactly. You were much more articulate than I, with my comparison, but it was effectively the point I was trying to make — it’s not a public forum at all and it’s now overrun by a cesspool of nonsensical garbage.