• polygon
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

How do you define “working”?

Right, I think this is what people are misunderstanding. Reddit was never going to change their minds. I was hoping that maybe the API prices were negotiable, or maybe they were going high to start with then going lower later to make them look like the nice guy. But in no way were Reddit just going to say “oopsie, our bad” and go back to how it was.

So why protest, then? Well, exactly what you said: if Spez is going to ruin the site, lets help him do it. Let’s create an absolute dumpster fire, let’s demonize him in the press, let’s spoil the IPO, let’s make “fediverse” a household term.

If that is the point of the protest, it’s worked with flying colors. Spez is losing his mind, entire mod teams aren’t just getting kicked out they’re getting out right deleted. More bad press, more people jump ship, fediverse exploding with activity, new Lemmy servers spinning up left and right.

It took Digg about 2 years to shed its users and it’ll probably take Reddit longer than that because I think Reddit has become more entrenched than Digg ever was, but I think it’ll happen. Twitter is a shell of what it was before Elon, and Reddit will become just as big of a joke. From cultural phenomenon to laughing stock in 2 weeks, because of one guys ego. Same as it ever was.

• @bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      71 year ago

It took Digg about 2 years to shed its users and it’ll probably take Reddit longer than that because I think Reddit has become more entrenched than Digg ever was, but I think it’ll happen. Twitter is a shell of what it was before Elon, and Reddit will become just as big of a joke. From cultural phenomenon to laughing stock in 2 weeks, because of one guys ego. Same as it ever was.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.