For some women in China, “Barbie” is more than just a movie — it’s also a litmus test for their partner’s views on feminism and patriarchy.

The movie has prompted intense social media discussion online, media outlets Sixth Tone and the China Project reported this week, prompting women to discuss their own dating experiences.

One user on the Chinese social media platform Xiaohongshu — a photo-sharing site similar to Instagram that’s mostly used by Gen Z women — even shared a guide on Monday for how women can test their boyfriends based on their reaction to the film.

According to the guide, if a man shows hatred for “Barbie” and slams female directors after they leave the theatre, then this man is “stingy” and a “toxic chauvinist,” according to Insider’s translation of the post. Conversely, if a man understands even half of the movie’s themes, “then he is likely a normal guy with normal values and stable emotions,” the user wrote.

• @CitizenKong@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      9111 months ago

As a man, I would say sort of. The movie does not shy away from a very obvious feminist message combined with an unsubtle (hilarious) spoof of toxic masculinity. On the other hand, it’s still a matter of personal taste. I really liked the movie, but I could see how someone would find it a bit too simplistic and formulaic in its story, completely independent from its themes. Not liking female directors in general just because they’re female is complete bullshit though.

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        5811 months ago

To be fair it doesn’t say the boyfriend has the like the movie, just understand it and not bash it mindlessly.

• @MisterFrog@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

I thought the movie was okay. The visuals were stunning the dance numbers fun (if you’re into that, which I am), they did a good job leaning into the comedy world-building and the takes on Ken loving the patriarchy were the most hilarious. Overall I think it did a good job. The story was a bit meh though for me because of how simple it was.

• @Steeve@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

I haven’t seen it, but the criticism I’ve heard is that the feminist message is a pretty obvious one and not very deep. I guess you don’t go to the Barbie movie to “make you think”, but I’ve also heard that the movie spends a bit too long on that obvious message and it gets boring at parts. I think the majority of criticisms aren’t about the message itself, more about the execution of it.

Buuutt this is the internet and the ridiculous voices are always the loudest lol

• @Steeve@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 months ago

Do you think we can’t talk about movie reviews unless we’ve seen the movie? Kinda makes the reviews pointless then doesn’t it

• @new_acct_who_dis@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              011 months ago

I love reviews for after watching a movie, I don’t want my impression to be changed by someone else.

For example, I loved the Ralph Breaks The Internet sequel! I guess people and reviewers really hated that movie.

• @Steeve@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                11 months ago

So those reviews didn’t impact your decision to see the movie and didn’t change your opinion of the movie after the fact? Sounds like the reviews were kinda pointless for you then, huh? Or at least not useful in their intended way.

• Rayspekt
      link
      fedilink
      8311 months ago

I don’t know I one should derive a scientific test out of it, but if a guy gets batshit crazy over the movie, then he might not have the best relation towards independent women.

• @archiotterpup@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      3811 months ago

As a gay man, I say yes. I get to watch the hetero world from the outside and yeah, Barbie nails it. Folks just don’t like the mirror.

• Amilo159
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

It’s not a movie for my taste as I prefer to watch sci-fi, action, thriller or historical themed movies. So if I was forced or coerced into seeing it, I would probably hate it too. Then again, I haven’t seen it so don’t really know for sure.

• Amilo159
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

That’s actually a very good point that I didn’t even realise. I did say “hate it” but didn’t mean hating the movie, simply disliking and not enjoying the time.

I guess it’s become far too easy to use extreme words in our daily speech nowadays, for which I blame social media.

• @Mothra@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1411 months ago

I second your opinion and I’m a woman. I just never liked the franchise, no matter how good the movie is, I don’t think I’d enjoy watching it either.

• @Hera@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          1211 months ago

You might not like it, but I have huge barbie issues and went with my 11 yo thinking it would be okay and poke a but of fun and have a slightly feminist bent. I truly loved every minute and am surprised how much I did. It is formulaic but done really well.

• @TheBlackLounge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          811 months ago

It’s rare, but this franchise owner understands very well that a lot of people hate Barbie. It’s even in the trailer “If you love Barbie, this movie is for you. If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you.”

• @expr@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1311 months ago

I tend to prefer similar movies as you and I loved the movie. It is a VERY fantastical, intelligent, existential, and heady movie. It’s one of the most expert navigations of complex social dynamics I’ve ever seen and has an absolute shitload of cinema references and easter eggs to boot.

Don’t let the surface fool you. The franchise is just a vehicle for Greta’s ideas to reach a mass audience.

• Good Girl [she/they]
            link
            fedilink
            English
            311 months ago

Vehicles tend to have space for many things. Writers also tend to not be massive corporations even while speaking for said corporations.

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

That’s like saying The Lego Movie and the Lego Batman movie were a vehicle to sell Legos. That’s pretty obviously not all they were, and just because they could sell toys that doesn’t mean they weren’t also good movies.

• @sxt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I definitely think it would do a fantastic job of baiting out reactions and listening to what someone has to say about it after would probably clue you in on what stood out to them about it. Obviously none of these types of tests can be conclusive, but I’d say if someone came out of the theater super angry then that’s pretty telling of something at least. A good starting point for further discussion with that person.

On the whole I thought the movie was hilarious and had a very compassionate message for men at the end of the movie as well.

My biggest issue after watching it has just been having to see braindead takes from people online, swinging in both directions. Lots of “the movie hates men” types but I’ve also seen a few “DAE, men bad?” tier takes as well which is a bit disheartening.

• @betheydocrime@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      711 months ago

I don’t know if it’s defininitive, but I do think it offers good insight into what a person notices when they watch things. There’s a whole lot to notice and think about in the movie

• @Blamemeta@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

It kinda feels like you could come away with any interpretation you want. Like you could say Barbie put down a slave revolt, and its totally valid.

So yeah, maybe the test is valid.

• @whatsarefoogee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -811 months ago

No. The movie is very antagonistic towards men. I don’t think anyone who has seen the movie can dispute that in good faith.

Practically every male character in both the Barbie world and the real world is portrayed negatively. There are a few exceptions that are portrayed neutrally but they are mostly plot or exposition devices.

Conversely, practically every female character is portrayed positively. This creates a stark contrast that’s very difficult to ignore.

To be clear - personally I don’t care, it takes more to rile me up. But hating a movie that is deliberately spiteful towards your demographic is not an abnormal reaction. Neither is “slamming” the people who made it.

• @Lanthanae@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1111 months ago

Man here. I disagree.

The movie is only “antagonistic towards men” if you think the Kens are somehow supposed to be a 1:1 realistic depiction of real life men which is something not only not textually supported but also actively and explicitly contradicted by the film

The kens aren’t stupid because they’re men, they’re stupid because they’re Ken Dolls. Both Kens and Barbies are highly hyperbolic depictions of how little girls play with Barbies and Kens.

Personally, I found the movie to be very empowering as a man too. I’d recommended rewatching it and trying to think critically about what the movie is doing. It’s a film, not an after school special where every character is supposed to be a direct black-and-white representation of “thing good” or “thing bad”

• Cryptic Fawn
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

It’s antagonistic towards the patriarchy. You completely misunderstood the Ken plot and are the one arguing in bad faith.

In fact, your response is exactly why some people view the movie as a good way to see what an individual pays attention to and whether or not they genuinely understand what the film is critiquing and why.

You failed.