• @blindbunny@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3810 hours ago

As a person that packed up and moved from Florida. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

• v_krishna
      link
      fedilink
      English
      859 hours ago

Leaving Florida was one of the more joyous occasions in my life. I moved somewhere with earthquakes and wildfires, but at least my daughters will have access to reproductive healthcare and if one of my kids turns out gay or trans they won’t be under existential thread. Natural Florida I absolutely love, esp when it used to be weird (a la Carl Hiaasen) but christ almighty is it a failed state.

• @blindbunny@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        309 hours ago

I felt this. One of my partners cars was hit with a bat because she had a pride sticker on it. Our partner was asked to resign as a math teacher because they’re trans and respected students’ pronouns. By the end of COVID I was concealed carrying just to go grocery shopping.

I miss Florida wildlife deeply. I was part of Florida trail association thought I was never going to leave but life throws curve balls it’s up to you to figure out how to catch them.

• @Machinist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          116 hours ago

Alabama native. Right there with you. The people changed so much during COVID that we started making plans in 2020 to get out before the next election. We moved this summer. Life is better and I’m no where near as worried about having to shoot someone to protect myself or family.

I brought a jar of red clay dirt with me. I’ll always miss the woods and creeks I knew.

• @blindbunny@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            65 hours ago

Damn I should have brought some of that clay with me too.

We left 2022 I don’t have anywhere as much money as I did when I lived there but I’m far happier then I was there post COVID. Glad to hear you and your family are safer now.

• v_krishna
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 hours ago

Nothing quite like Florida cold springs for sure. I lived in Orlando and definitely took advantage of Rock Springs, Wekiwa, Blue Springs, etc. Truly magical places.

• @blindbunny@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 hours ago

Thanks friend you reminded me of vortex springs in Ponce De Leon that’s some good memories.

• v_krishna
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 hours ago

If we stopped growing almonds for the entire freaking world Norcal would have lots and lots of water. 80% of California water goes to agriculture, 20% of that is for tree nuts, and 2/3rds of them are exported overseas.

I do agree (as a Michigan native originally) the best prospects over the next 50 years are Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. But both career prospects and winter make that a hard miss for me.

• @batmaniam@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -26 hours ago

Fucking move man. You’re living in a state that apparently depends on almonds. Where do you think you’re going to keep living? What’s the cutoff? Like you can’t raise a family in a state with no water that depends on almonds.

• @homesnatch@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              56 hours ago

California does not depend on Almonds, it only accounts for 1/4 of 1% of the California economy.

• @vividspecter@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                35 hours ago

Worrying about the water use of almonds when animal agriculture is right there is absurd in any case.