For some women in China, “Barbie” is more than just a movie — it’s also a litmus test for their partner’s views on feminism and patriarchy.

The movie has prompted intense social media discussion online, media outlets Sixth Tone and the China Project reported this week, prompting women to discuss their own dating experiences.

One user on the Chinese social media platform Xiaohongshu — a photo-sharing site similar to Instagram that’s mostly used by Gen Z women — even shared a guide on Monday for how women can test their boyfriends based on their reaction to the film.

According to the guide, if a man shows hatred for “Barbie” and slams female directors after they leave the theatre, then this man is “stingy” and a “toxic chauvinist,” according to Insider’s translation of the post. Conversely, if a man understands even half of the movie’s themes, “then he is likely a normal guy with normal values and stable emotions,” the user wrote.

• @Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    8011 months ago

If you base your relationship on a fucken Hollywood movie then that should be a litmus test in and of itself.

Also, guys, if your girlfriend constantly feels the need to “test” your relationship, then she’s not the right one. Thats a massive red flag.

• @neptune@dmv.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12711 months ago

I mean there’s no harm in using a cultural moment as a starting point to see if two people are compatible?

I think the language in the article and perhaps from the influencers is a bit rigid.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that if a man has valid reasons for disliking the movie they are automatically exist. The idea is that the film is causing a knee jerk reaction in men who are otherwise prone to hiding their misogyny.

I didn’t get a lot of the inside jokes about the product. And the barbies and Ken’s did not unite to kill Will Ferrell.

• @whatsarefoogee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -3511 months ago

The idea is that the film is causing a knee jerk reaction in men who are otherwise prone to hiding their misogyny.

Why would a knee jerk reaction be any indication of misogyny? The movie is very antagonistic towards men. The proposition that having a negative reaction to that is misogyny is absurd.

• @betheydocrime@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’s not, though. It’s antagonistic to the patriarchy, sure, just like it’s antagonistic to the matriarchy, but “man” and “patriarchy” are two entirely separate concepts.

It’s like if a movie came out that criticized the for-profit medical insurance industry in the US and people started saying that it criticized all doctors. That doesn’t make any sense, and neither does this

• @criticon@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          11 months ago

The movie is very antagonistic towards men

Lol no it isn’t

If you have that point of view after watching the movie that’s exactly the red flag the women in the article are looking for

• deejay4am
            link
            fedilink
            English
            711 months ago

Lol straight up told on himself live in the comments

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Wanting to test if your new boyfriend is a misogynist is hardly a red flag. The article doesn’t say anything about testing dudes constantly. It doesn’t even say he has to like the movie, just understand some of its themes.

• 👁️👄👁️
      link
      fedilink
      English
      6911 months ago

It’s not basing the relationship off of the movie. It’s just a way to test if any red flags come up.

• Sjatar
        link
        fedilink
        English
        4511 months ago

I think it’s healthy to observe your partners reaction to things. Especially when it comes to things that are quite important for a long term relationship, like their thoughts about gender roles. If you organically went to see the movie and your partner is clearly displaying red flags from it, then that’s just good (not the red flags but that you now know).

I guess the trickery of going to assess them specifically can be seen as a asshole move. But I think it’s a good move compared to alternatives ^^

• @SouthernCanadian@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          611 months ago

Being manipulative is a good alternative compared to just being direct and asking your partner what they think? I’m sure someone who is going to throw a fit about the Barbie movie will be happy to tell you what they think about feminism if you just ask.

• @new_acct_who_dis@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            1011 months ago

How many dudes on dating apps say they’re “not into politics” because they know admitting they’re conservative will diminish their dating pool?

Women know better than to only listen to words. They’ve been trained to watch for actions as well.

• Sjatar
            link
            fedilink
            English
            311 months ago

I don’t see it as more manipulative then to ask leading questions to assess anybodies stance on subjects ^^ Especially when it’s a way to shield yourself from real harm that might be caused by the party you are probing information from.

• @Torvum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -511 months ago

Movies are not a good basis on someone’s perception of anything. Their interactions with reality are.

• @WindInTrees@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            811 months ago

Many movies are based on real-life or have pertinent real-life themes. They depict something “fake” in order to communicate a truth about real life.

• @kbotc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

I feel like the movie woooshed you a little bit. The entire point was that both versions of the society sucked. It wasn’t “telling women to be terrible” it was that if either sex acts terrible it’s bad for society.

• @johnlobo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

if your boyfriend is a mysogonos you should do a selfcheck. If you keep attracting asshole then the problem is you.

• @problematicPanther@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      611 months ago

because reaction to art can be a good indication to what someone thinks. For example, a negative reaction to the song ‘Alabama’ by Neil Young might indicate that the person thinks that Alabama is a swell place and people shouldn’t be putting it down just because it’s government is racist as fuck.

• otter bee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

I agree with what you’re saying except I think the Barbie movie has provided a unique and well thought out message that manny have failed to convey and finally feel they’re being heard.

• @socsa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

Seeing a movie with someone is part of your experience with them, through which you determine their personality and character, is it not?

I agree that “testing” people is kind of toxic, but the idea that your assessment of a person isn’t cumulative and inclusive feels odd.