• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    165 hours ago

Tbf it seemed to make more sense for the likes of Reddit, Facebook, etc. Similarly if I go to a Chinese forum I would not assume that everyone there was from the USA.

• MudMan
      link
      fedilink
      105 hours ago

I’ve heard this more times, and it’s kind of baffling. The US isn’t even the biggest individual country on Facebook. What do people who assume everyone is from the US think a non-US “forum” looks like? Where do Americans think everybody else hangs out online?

• @Graphy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 hour ago

As a US citizen I think we forget how much of our shit gets out.

I’m always surprised when I go abroad and people are up to date with somewhat niche US info. I was in Hong Kong and some local dude made a reference to the fatass NJ gov who was chilling on the closed beach during lockdowns.

I do feel like I see far more people complaining about US people making assumptions than I do US people assuming. When I’m replying to someone I don’t put any thought into where they’re from unless they drop a context clue.

• Altima NEO
        link
        fedilink
        English
        42 hours ago

Given how many people choose to speak their native language in the US (myself included), I guess they assume they post to forums that are in their language.

• MudMan
          link
          fedilink
          12 hours ago

So like Facebook and Reddit? Social media isn’t in English specifically. People who speak other languages often post in their native language for some things and in the lingua franca for more international conversations. The Internet is the Internet regardless.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        75 hours ago

NOW, but when Reddit started, and therefore the now infamous subreddit names were first doled out?

• MudMan
          link
          fedilink
          22 hours ago

I am fairly sure that the rest of the world already existed. And those formats keep being in use in newer places, too. This is not just a Reddit thing. Even you mentioned Facebook, which was instantly popular globally.

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            125 seconds ago

I am fairly sure that the rest of the world already existed.

No way - at least not back then! Source: am American, and therefore entirely confident that no other nations existed prior to my hearing about them (Christopher Columbus told me so! 😛). And maybe even then… which reminds me, are you so sure that you are real? Maybe you too are in America and just forgot? 🫠

Also, just so we are clear, “American” = “USAian”, definitely no other nations exist on the American continent, nope, no way! (Except Canada and Mexico, and they get a pass as wannabe USA states) 😜