NSFW just in case.

I started estrogen and anti-androgen about 6 years ago, and it’s worked well. Changes have been slow since I take a low dose to prevent overdosing since I don’t get any blood tests on account of not doing it officially, since I was denied on account of refusing to dress in drag for my disgusting doctor (he saw me as a man), who denied me on account of not proving I’m really a woman. Though at this point I’m pretty far along and mostly pass, if not for my voice (I still sound like a man 😭). Even though it’s largely gone well, I would’ve really preferred to do it officially. Apparently it’s not an option though for me. Anyone else have any experiences with DIY they’d like to share?

• @mjsaber@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    88 hours ago

I started with a doctor, but I’ve basically been DIY for about 2 years now due to a lack of competent providers in my area.

If you can afford it, it’s worth getting your blood checked at a place like Quest Diagnostics or any other non-hospital affiliated lab. Look around and compare prices. it should be a few hundred dollars. It’s not something to do frequently, but you can at least get an idea of what your levels are. The one caveat is that if you’re taking oral medication, it might not even be worth it unless you can time your lab right at the peak dosing time.

You aren’t likely to overdo it to the point of safety unless you’re taking massive doses. WPATH recommends 100-200 for your E range, but I know girls that are under the care of (less informed) doctors, and I’ve seen results closer to 1000s without ill effects. It’s important to stay active and not smoke to prevent blood clots, but that’s about it. It’s good to do some weight training to help with bone strength, in case you lose access to your hormones it can help osteoporosis if you have had any testicular atrophy.

The most important thing - of your seeing results you’re happy with, keep it up! E can be magic, but I’ve found a lot of my passing privilege comes from learning how to frame my face and pick clothes that are flattering for my body type.

Voice training is well worth it if your goal is to pass, but it’s often one of the most difficult things you can do, especially without a teacher. If you’re interested, DM me and I would be happy to help with resources and what not.

Glad to hear some of us are doing well, even without official support. Keep it up!