• @Aeri@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    617 hours ago

Stupid question but can we not like, make toggleable solar panels? Like if I Just pull the plug extracting power from a solar panel does it explode or break or something?

• @Cryophilia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 hours ago

Not really. You can discharge into the ground, but for large installations even the ground has a limited (local) capacity.

Edit: explain yourselves, downvoting cowards

link
          fedilink
          English
          210 hours ago

My understanding is that most large solar arrays don’t have this capability in any sort of automatic way, and at these levels of power it’s a bit more complicated than “just unplug it”.

• @uis@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            05 hours ago

most large solar arrays don’t have this capability in any sort of automatic way

Look at this “manual” unplugger:

and at these levels of power it’s a bit more complicated than “just unplug it”.

Unplug many.

link
              fedilink
              English
              33 hours ago

“Everything is so fucking simple that I can easily figure out the solutions to giant societal problems with 15 minutes of googling” is the dumbest take I’ve heard all day. Granted it’s only 6am but still.

Maybe you’re not fucking Sun Tzu, Einstein and Jesus rolled in to one and there might be the occasional issue that’s slightly more complicated than your armchair quarterback solutions.

Christ you people piss me off.

• @T156@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 hours ago

Could they not just break the circuit for the panel, and stop it feeding back into the mains?

link
          fedilink
          English
          211 hours ago

Yeah. My understanding is that most large solar complexes don’t have this capability, at least not in any efficient automatic way, but most home solar systems do.

• @sep@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        011 hours ago

I have no idea what i am talking about… But what would happen if you pulled a black tarp over the panel? Could even be automatic like the blends on a building. And even partial.

• @Disgracefulone
            link
            English
            edit-2
            10 hours ago

You’re telling me a toggleable panel that flips when it needs to is too expensive? You’re already installing the panels. You’re already doing all that. The only difference is the material on the back side of the panel and of course some sort of crank and shaft to rotate it.

Or if only there was some sort of powered component that could rotate it when it reached the capacity you know since the name of the game is power

• @Allero@lemmy.today
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              10 hours ago

Solar panels are very cheap, and any modification, even just a moving cover, greatly ramps up prices. No, really.

We just need a lot of panels to generate significant amounts of electricity, which would necessitate a large cover or a lot of mechanisms - which would get expensive on that scale.

link
              fedilink
              English
              29 hours ago

In addition to what allero said, you seem to only be considering future installations rather than existing ones. Retrofitting existing equipment is massively more expensive than changing a design prior to building it.