Americans have already started noticing a decline in toilet paper rolls in their local stores as customer apparently bulk buy - despite the majority of paper being produced domestically

Toilet paper ‘panic buying’ has been reported in parts of the country, as Americans fear the impact of the ongoing port strike.

Roughly 45,000 members of the International Longshoremen’s Association walked out on Tuesday morning after their contract with the ports expired. News that the strike could impact 36 ports appears to have led some consumers to buy rolls upon rolls of toilet paper in a panic, with shoppers posting pictures of their local stores with empty shelves.

Social media users in New Jersey, Colorado, Virginia and other states reported shelves cleaned out of toilet paper.

• Flying Squid
    link
    fedilink
    2211 hours ago

Is this the new America? Disaster is looming, so buy toilet paper?

• @skeezix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      77 hours ago

Yes but not just disasters. Toilet paper got sold out before the last solar eclipse. Americans buy toilet paper because it’s one of the few things they can still do with agency. It makes them feel like they accomplished something

• @CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      2211 hours ago

It’s not even a disaster, like, the port workers wouldn’t strike so long as to actually threaten the country, they live in it. It’s only a disaster if you’re trying to avoid paying them more

• metaStatic
        link
        fedilink
        910 hours ago

It’s only a disaster if you’re trying to avoid paying them more

So, it’s a disaster then.

• Flying Squid
        link
        fedilink
        411 hours ago

I would say it’s a looming disaster in terms of the average price of goods for consumers when they are already living paycheck to paycheck in many cases.

I am on the side of the port workers, don’t get me wrong, but the fallout from this strike will hurt people.