• British.

I found a lot of things weird, but I did go to Florida like 8 times so it’s to be expected and maybe some of these are exclusive to that state.

• I found it weird that alcohol seemed to be sold only in liquor stores. But you can buy a machine gun in Walmart.
    • The food. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and all but the quantity. Take sizzlers, you go in order your main meal then get an endless buffet for free. Like I couldn’t eat my steak when it arrived as I was full from the buffet.
    • syrup all over breakfast items and people bigger than id ever seen were gorging and then taking a box home too.
    • enthusiasm: grown ass adults whooping and hollering as we were queuing for rides. I’m a man child myself but it was startling.
    • Jaywalking. Wtf

To throw out some positives. Everyone I met was lovely and nothing like the nut jobs we get to see online. People were polite, friendly and accommodating.

Beautiful nature and national parks.

• @zod000@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      36 hours ago

Most grocery stores sell alcohol in Florida, but only the beer and while variety. Hard liquor is only available in liquor stores. FL is actually a lot less restricted on that than many other states.

• Dark Arc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      46 hours ago

I found it weird that alcohol seemed to be sold only in liquor stores. But you can buy a machine gun in Walmart.

That might be a Florida thing(?) Definitely not an Ohio thing.

The food. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and all but the quantity. Take sizzlers, you go in order your main meal then get an endless buffet for free. Like I couldn’t eat my steak when it arrived as I was full from the buffet.

Yeah buffets aren’t all that common… But they’re probably more common here (especially in touristy spots) than other countries.

• syrup all over breakfast items and people bigger than id ever seen were gorging and then taking a box home too.
      • enthusiasm: grown ass adults whooping and hollering as we were queuing for rides. I’m a man child myself but it was startling.

Fair.

• Jaywalking. Wtf

Yeah… Especially in touristy spots and very urban spots some people don’t care. I’m assuming you’ve witnessed Florida man that cuts across 6 lanes of busy traffic.

I think the average American normally only jaywalks if the street is pretty much empty and they don’t feel like waiting 3 minutes for the light to change.

• I think there may be a misunderstanding. The concept of jaywalking is nuts to me, and many Europeans. The USA has made it illegal to… walk? In the Netherlands, we don’t even have a word for this. It’s just walking. Traffic participation while not in a car.

• @ObsidianNebula@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          129 minutes ago

It depends on the place and the cop that is present, but jaywalking isn’t often enforced. It’s a law to try to protect people from crossing the street and getting injured by cars that may not see them crossing. Instead of crossing anywhere, they are supposed to cross at a specific area where cars already are supposed to stop. Since jaywalking is against the law (even if it isn’t enforced well), it will stop some people from crossing the street in the middle of a road, and it may save a few lives. It’s kinda dumb, but if it helps a few people, I have no problem with it.

• Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a documentary. Ignore the cartoons. Oil companies bought up and paved over our trolleys in the 1920s and invented jaywalking to prioritize cars. It was a way to punish and imprison poor people, and likely, considering the rest of the history of this country, was predominantly enforced on people of color

• @jawsua@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            22 hours ago

Absolutely, oil and car companies. And they were behind the push for highway bypasses (conveniently running through immigrant and PoC neighborhoods) and suburbs (many of them redlined and outright racial exclusionary.