I’m looking into getting a therapy animal, a dog. This dog will be trained by a licensed companion animal training breeder near me. When I spoke to my landlord they said no pets including therapy animals.
Is this legal at all?

I’m in the United States.

.gif unrelated

• @Placid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    214 hours ago

Look at question 4 though.

If it’s a service animal OP is getting, then the landlord cannot legally exclude it. However, therapy animals are specifically not service animals and are not covered by the ADA

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No.  These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person.  Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.  However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places.  You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

• @thejoker954@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      33 hours ago

While not a “working” dog, emotional support animals are protected by law for housing.

Even with a “no pets” policy, they cannot reject/evict someone with a legit therapy animal.

You cant bring your emotional support animal into a business. Only working dogs allowed.

• @criticalcentristOP
      link
      14 hours ago

I’m just looking at a service dog that my insurance can help with paying for it’s training and it’s main purpose would be to alleviate symptoms of anxiety, intrusive thoughts, delusions, and any suicidal/harmful behaviors of mine that I don’t always notice “in the moment”

• Nougat
        link
        fedilink
        22 hours ago

It seems that a dog which is trained to perform the “specific task” of intervening to halt harmful behaviors would (should) qualify as a service animal.

• @Placid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        33 hours ago

I understand. Maybe see if your insurance can help connect you to resources that can help you navigate this situation. You can’t be the only person who’s landlord said no.