• @dependencyinjection@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      299 hours ago

All labour is skilled labour. If you have to be trained how to do something it’s a skill.

You think packing boxes is just putting things in boxes but I’m sure there is more to it, particularly when working for dystopian Amazon where they’re very strict with KPIs.

People called it unskilled labour as a means to pay people less.

• @letsgo@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        47 hours ago

Given the size of the boxes my Amazon stuff comes in you’d have to be extremely challenged not to be able to get that stuff in there. They’re not exactly solving the Knapsack Packing Problem multiple times a day.

• @dependencyinjection@discuss.tchncs.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 hours ago

My understanding is some algorithm decides what size box to use for an order, the packer packs that box.

The skill comes from the repetition of doing the task to become efficient enough not to be taken out back and put down by Bezos.

• @Maalus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        45 hours ago

Yeah and that’s what “skilled labor” means. It is about people with higher skills required for their job, skills that are in high demand. There is a huge difference between a doctor, programmer, CAD designer, and a cashier.

• @neidu2@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

If anything, I’d claim that burger flipping requires more skill than item boxing.