What software have you found particularly frustrating or difficult to configure on Linux?

• circuscritic
    link
    fedilink
    25 hours ago

Running Fedora with dual HDR monitors just fine, but it’s entirely possible that something is off that I’m not catching. They’re also running off my Nvidia GPU.

I’ll just add that they look the same as when I used to run Win10 on the same box.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
      link
      fedilink
      English
      13 hours ago

That’s great to hear. I’d miss the AUR, but I think I’ll just try Fedora out for this build. I want to play with the computer, not tinker with the OS.

• circuscritic
        link
        fedilink
        13 hours ago

Oh, just FYI I don’t game, so if there are some HDR features for gaming you’re hoping for, I can’t speak to that.

link
          fedilink
          English
          12 hours ago

Yes, I’m going to use it as a couch console, web browser player for MLB games, and a streaming machine. I did a bunch of reading after posting my last comment and decided that I’ll just stick with Arch. Fedora sounds alluring for the simplicity, but I think I’ll miss the AUR and the rolling release cycle too much. I finally pulled the trigger this afternoon and bought the components after looking at them in my cart on Newegg for a week straight. It should be a pretty rad system

• circuscritic
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            1 hour ago

Do whatever works best for you.

I will say that after years and years of regularly switching workstation and laptop distros for a variety of reasons, after finally giving Fedora a shake, I’m done. I’ve installed it on both my primary laptop and desktops and can’t imagine switching again.

But I am still sticking with Debian as my primary server base.

link
              fedilink
              English
              11 hour ago

Debian is about as perfect as you can get for a headless server.

You have me curious again after hearing you’ve tried everything. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl. It’s not like I can’t switch to Arch later. It’ll be just as much of a pain in the ass later as it will sooner, and I just might find a new favorite OS. LOL. Plus, I do dig Gnome, and I think it’s probably a better DE for a HTPC than KDE.