• @boydster@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

I totally hear that, but at the same time it’s really important for a functioning democracy that the vote be secret. For one, it empowers a suppressed class to vote against their suppressor’s interests without fear of retaliation.

• @finitebanjo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      27 hours ago

There is already a record of who voted for what, all of your fears could be taking place as things are now. Making it accessible to the person, even with hoops to jump through, would only be an improvement.

• @Serinus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        56 hours ago

No, there’s not. There’s a record of who voted. There is a record of your political party in most states. There is no record of who you actually voted for.

• @finitebanjo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 hours ago

The majority of votes in the USA are electronically counted, and a ballot itself is a record of a vote as well. What there isn’t is a searchable index of who voted for what, and I apologize for my unclear language.

But the likelihood of oppression based on availability of those vote records is still very much there even if the voter themself doesn’t have access.

• @GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            11 hour ago

Back to school. Vote-buying breaks democracy. Not having proof of who you voted for makes vote-buying pointless. Yes, your vote could be miscounted. This is generally less of a problem than the general population being able to sell their votes and can be mitigated in a variety of ways which don’t tie votes to voters.