• @overload@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 day ago

He’s more than capable of joining the fediverse, but he’s also a UI/UX designer. I would say his main issue with the fediverse is the amount of friction between a normie being exposed to the concept and actually signing up and engaging with it.

You have to admit that it isn’t the simplest thing to do. People have to understand the concept of the fediverse, find an instance that will accept them, sign up (with confirmation required from the instance mods) and then find out how to find communities that they are interested in.

It’s not about whether a tech-savvy person can figure it out with some effort, it’s about whether normal people can transition away from a monolithic, streamlined, social media to it.

• Dame
      link
      fedilink
      81 day ago

It makes sense. I trust a UI/UX designer with experience that knows what they’re talking about. As much as we like and care for the space there are flaws

• kbal
      link
      fedilink
      61 day ago

People have to understand the concept of the fediverse

That’s the argument. Do they, though? I sure didn’t when I first signed up.

• @Feathercrown@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 day ago

If Fediverse users don’t even agree on whether instances are important or just an implementation detail, how could a new user know?

• @iopq@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 day ago

People have to understand email addresses, domains, the DNS system just to decide which email provider to choose. After that they still need to find people to email.

This email thing will never catch on /s

• @overload@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        16 hours ago

Hahaha, touché. To be fair though, a lot of people struggle with email.

And if an easier version of email existed, email mightn’t have caught on.